Softball throws one hit shutout in 18-0 win

Sophomore utility Bethany Canada gets ready to swing the ball on Wednesday against Hutchinson Community College. Shockers collected 21 hits to score 18 runs for the sixth win of the fall season.

Matt Crow

Matt Crow

Freshman pitcher Bailey Klitzke and senior Katie Malone both pitched for five innings as softball’s fall season was nearing a close. Klitzke opened up the first five innings, allowing the game’s only hit in 13 at bats.

Malone came in to pitch the last five innings, not allowing one hit and striking out five batters. The Shockers combined for 11 strikeouts with no runs in Wichita State’s 18-0 win over Hutchinson Community College at Wilkins Stadium on Wednesday night.

“I felt like the first couple of innings I started off shaky,” Klitzke said. “But I felt like after that I got my rhythm going and did better. My defense really had my back out in the field.”

Sophomore third baseman Mackenzie Wright led the charge in hitting with four hits, one RBI and collected three runs for the Shockers on offense. Sophomore utility Asea Webber collected four RBIs with two hits in WSU’s victory.

“Personally I’ve been working a lot this whole week to stay back behind the ball,” Webber said.

The Shockers got on the board first in the bottom of the first inning, leading off with a base hit from senior first baseman Macklin Hitz to bring in Wright for a Shocker’s score. WSU continued to score in the bottom of the second inning, first off a hit by sophomore second baseman Mauriana Jamele to score freshman designated hitter Morgan Palmer.

After freshman centerfielder Kiersten Otte stole home to give the Shockers a 3-0 lead, sophomore catcher Cassidy Kelsheimer kept the bats going by bringing in Jamele to make the score 4-0. In the bottom of the third inning, senior designated hitter Kelli Spring scored off a double to bring in Webber from second to give WSU a comfortable 5-0 lead.

After a silent fourth inning, the Shockers responded with six runs in the bottom of the fifth and 12-0. WSU brought in three more runs in the bottom of the seventh, two of them off a double by Palmer and another off a single by sophomore shortstop Laurie Derrico.

Webber brought in two more runs with a double in the bottom of the ninth inning, making the final score 18-0.

“We had a lot of really good, quality at bats, which is what we’re looking for,” head coach Kristi Bredbenner said.

WSU moves to 6-0 this fall season and will be back in action for a Black and Gold Scrimmage on Oct. 19. The Shockers final game this fall at Wilkins Stadium on Oct. 25 against Northern Oklahoma Enid at 5 p.m.

“We’re doing good,” Bredbenner said. “I think they’re doing a great job and I have no negatives to say.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Softball throws one hit shutout in 18-0 win”

1. John on October 13th, 2016 10:09 pm

Huge softball fans here in Arizona of the Shockers softball program. Please cover more of this upcoming season please

[Reply]

• Softball throws one hit shutout in 18-0 win

Cameron: ‘I owe public educators my life’

‘This is what democracy looks like’

Shockers bully Billikens in 30-point victory

Marshallville gives back

Shockers win first road game of the season

Shockers rebound with 30-point win over Southern Nazarene

Shockers drop to fourth place against No. 24 Michigan State

Shockers fall in semifinals to No. 10 Louisville

WSU advances to semifinals with victory over LSU

Shockers post triple digits in record setter