WSU advances to semifinals with victory over LSU

Manny De Los Santos

Sophomore Markis McDuffie (32) celebrates with junior Zach Brown (1) in the second half of Wednesday’s game against Tulsa at Charles Koch Arena. Wichita State defeated Tulsa 80-53.

Wichita State men’s basketball team held off Louisiana State University in their first match in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament, 82-47 on Wednesday afternoon.

The Shockers held LSU’s shooting to 28 percent and held their own at 48 percent and 50 percent from the three.

WSU had an early lead of 13-1 over LSU with seven of those points coming from redshirt freshman Landry Shamet. About half way through the first half, the Shockers held LSU at 20-9 to get LSU to call for a timeout.

After the timeout, redshirt junior Conner Frankamp hit back-to-back threes to extend their lead, 26-9. The Shockers ended the first half with a 46-19 lead.

Sophomore Markis McDuffie and Shamet lead the team offensively in the first half with 13 and 10 points, respectively.

The Shockers received their largest lead of the game in the second half of 36 points with about a minute left in the game.

Senior JR Simon contributed five points in the last few minutes of the game and redshirt freshman Brett Barney also collected a basket.

Shamet scored 16 points with three rebounds and three assists while McDuffie scored 13 points.

Frankamp and juniors Rashard Kelly, Daishon Smith, and Darral Willis scored eight points each.

The Shockers will continue on to the semifinals against the winner of Louisville versus Old Dominion at 1:30 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day.