Tennis teams go one-and-one

Senior Ilija Cuic celebrates with a fist pump Saturday afternoon inside the Sheldon Coleman Tennis Complex at WSU’s campus during his doubles-match with teammate Jocelyn Devilliers. They won their doubles-match 8-7.

Men’s and women’s tennis both gained redeeming victories on Sunday after being beaten in their first matches of the ITA Kick-off.

Women’s tennis fell to TCU Horn Frogs in the first round 4-0. Last year, the Shockers lost to the Horn Frogs in the first round of the NCAA Tournament 4-3, a closely contested match.

In this match-up with TCU, played in Stillwater, Oklahoma, sophomore Gabriela Porubin lost to no. 75 Seda Aratenkin in the number two singles slot. At the number one slot, no. 93 Guilia Guidetti was up 6-3, 5-3 when the match was stopped due to TCU’s winning the first four out of seven matches.

The Shockers beat Cornell 4-1 in their second match of the weekend. The Shockers took both doubles points with the combinations of Porubin and Fatima Bizhukova and Ting-Ya Hsu paired with Tanaporn Thongsing.

The women’s team ended the weekend with a spring record of 2-1, with wins over Cornell and MVC foe Missouri State.

On the men’s side, the Shockers lost their first round 4-1 to Utah State in Forth W0rth. The Shockers won both of their doubles matches while dropping all of their singles matches. The winning double pairs were Eddie Stoice and Haru Inoue, followed by Jocelyn Devilliers and Murkel Dellien.

On Sunday, head coach Danny Bryan picked up his first dual match win as the Wichita head coach in a hard-fought 4-3 match against Pacific. The team fought back from the doubles loss with four singles wins, including fall standouts Inoue and Stoice along with newcomers Murkel Dellien and Marius Frosa. Dellien has a coasting win of 6-2, 6-1 over Pacific’s Pardha Adavelly for his first win as a Shocker.

This was the men’s first win of the spring. They will look to return to form when they take on former MVC rival Creighton next Saturday.