Sophomore transfer looks for fresh start at WSU

Asea Webber came out of Mannford High School in Oklahoma as one of the top softball prospects in the state, choosing Oklahoma State University by the end of her senior year.

Despite playing 41 miles from her hometown, Webber’s freshman season took a downhill turn when she tore her ACL. After constantly getting into arguments with OSU coach Kenny Gajewski, Webber decided to leave the school.

She did, however, have one school she wanted to play for, seeing this team play against the Cowgirls twice. Even though the Shockers lost to OSU 4-3 in Stillwater, Oklahoma, and 8-2 in Wichita, Webber was impressed with how competitive the team was and how they would not give up until the final batter was called out.

On Aug. 17, she was officially WSU’s newest face on the 2017 team.

“When we played (WSU), I saw a very good connection between the girls and I really liked that,” Webber said. “I thought I could help out with some more power because I knew they were graduating a lot of power hitters.”

While Webber didn’t get to showcase her power at the plate at OSU, head coach Kristi Bredbenner and the coaching staff knows what she can bring to the table. WSU recruited Webber before she signed with OSU.

In 2014, Webber had a .520 batting average with nine home runs and was named to Oklahoma’s All-State Middle East team.

“(Asea) is a kid who is going to grow within this program,” Bredbenner said. “She’s going to get better throughout the year.”

Webber made some early impressions with her swing during the Shockers’ fall exhibition games. During an 18-0 win over Hutchinson Community College last fall, Webber recorded two hits with four RBI’s.

WSU returns six starters for this season, finding room for Webber difficult find. Although she only played in seven games and had one hit in six at-bats last season, Webber still helps freshmen adjust to college softball.

When freshman Brigitta Doherty was struggling with her technique during an infield drill in practice one day, Webber gave her a technique to use to improve her game.

Doherty said Webber has meshed with the team so well that she has helped boost the team’s chemistry.

“She’s helpful and fun to be around,” Doherty said. “She gets along with a lot of personalities and is a great person to always keep the mood light and people laughing.”

Webber wasn’t smiling much while she was in an OSU softball uniform last season. With her new home at WSU and her new teammates accepting her and her game, Webber said she has fit in with the team well and is happy.

“I think I’ve blended in really well,” Webber said. “I love the girls. I get along with them awesome. They’ve taken me in just like anyone else.”