Wichita State's independent, student-run news source

The Sunflower

Behind the bench: Five questions with Lynn Marshall

Head+coach+Gregg+Marshall%27s+wife+Lynn+points+to+the+cheerleaders+and+pep++band+during+a+cheer+after+the+Shockers+82-56+victory+over+Bradley.
Head coach Gregg Marshall's wife Lynn points to the cheerleaders and pep  band during a cheer after the Shockers 82-56 victory over Bradley.

Head coach Gregg Marshall's wife Lynn points to the cheerleaders and pep band during a cheer after the Shockers 82-56 victory over Bradley.

Hannah Roberts

Hannah Roberts

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Lynn Marshall, wife of head coach Gregg Marshall, provided us with an inside look at her role behind the Shockers’ bench.

Q: What makes you nervous about the games?

Lynn Marshall: I get nervous about three hours before the game. My stomach hurts and I want to win so badly. Even though I’ve been doing this with Gregg for almost 30 years, I just get nervous before every game; it’s just part of the deal.

Q: What’s been your favorite memory so far?

Lynn Marshall: I would say when we beat Ohio State; going out, running out on the court. It was surreal. It was like I couldn’t feel my body. I just jumped into Gregg’s arms. I couldn’t believe that we won, that we were going to the Final Four.

Q: How would you describe this year’s team?

Lynn Marshall: I love these boys. After 30 years with Gregg, this is my favorite team. I’m closest to this team. I said before we went to Montreal, “I want to get to know these guys; we’ve got so many new guys and I’m going to go out of my way to tell them ‘Hey, come sit with me at dinner, let’s talk, I want to get to know you guys.'” They’re really sweet and they’re personable kids and they’re very genuine.

Q: Were you a basketball fan before meeting Gregg?

Lynn Marshall: Yes, I was a basketball player in the old days, the ’70s, ‘80s, ‘90s, so absolutely. I played college basketball and played basketball my whole life.

Q: What phrases do you yell most during games?

Lynn Marshall: I say, “Come on fellas, come on fellas, let’s go fellas.”

Definitely yell for defense, that’s why I got this [Zach Brown] jersey on because that’s my guy. I appreciate him so much, he’s a worker and people don’t recognize what he does.

8 Comments

8 Responses to “Behind the bench: Five questions with Lynn Marshall”

1. Christy Collins on March 4th, 2017 10:16 pm

Love this! I was just talking about how much I love Lynn’s energy and how she always knows how to get the crowd going! She’s great! So much respect and love towards her and how she has constantly shown support all these years!

[Reply]

2. Justin Hysom on March 5th, 2017 12:19 am

The First Lady of Shocker basketball!!! Love seeing this lady in the crowd!!! Wish I was hanging in the STL with all the crew!!!

[Reply]

3. teresa on March 5th, 2017 1:30 am

Thank you Lynn for all you do. Behind the sceen and out there in the trenches. We love and appreciate you!

[Reply]

4. Dana on March 5th, 2017 7:59 am

I love watching her during the game. She gets so into it and you can see the passion and love she has for the game. Si glad to have this family as a part of our community!

[Reply]

5. billy on March 10th, 2017 3:01 pm

Yeah she is great…especially when she taunts the opposing teams players…class act.

[Reply]

Cristie AuBuchon Reply:

No class.

[Reply]

6. David on March 19th, 2017 6:16 pm

In light of the season ending game against Kentucky and the media reports I am intrigued by Billy from March 10

[Reply]

Cristie AuBuchon Reply:

You Respect and love Lynn Marshall?!?!
    Drunk, and cussing out our coach and disrespecting our players….?!
    Shame. She should be banned from all the games.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Right
Navigate Left
  • Behind the bench: Five questions with Lynn Marshall

Sports

Women’s tennis clinches ninth-straight MVC title on senior day

• Behind the bench: Five questions with Lynn Marshall

Campus

WSU startups receive award money at entrepreneurship competition

• Behind the bench: Five questions with Lynn Marshall

Best of Wichita

Best of Wichita: Do-nut miss out on these doughnuts

• Behind the bench: Five questions with Lynn Marshall

Best of Wichita

Best of Wichita: Fairmount College of Liberal Arts and Sciences gets best college nod

• Behind the bench: Five questions with Lynn Marshall

Campus

Power outage hits campus

• Behind the bench: Five questions with Lynn Marshall

Sports

Shockers drop final MVC matchup to Drake Bulldogs

• Behind the bench: Five questions with Lynn Marshall

Sports

Shockers lead KT Woodman after six events

• Behind the bench: Five questions with Lynn Marshall

Cross Country

Overseas journey sets top distance runner up for success

• Behind the bench: Five questions with Lynn Marshall

Features

Student-run company takes business on the road

• Behind the bench: Five questions with Lynn Marshall