Tomblin gets another raise

John Tomblin, vice president for research and technology transfer, speaks at a student government association meeting. Tomblin is the highest paid Wichita State employee. (File photo; Mar. 1, 2017)

Vice President for Research and Technology Transfer John Tomblin received a raise of $67,103 in 2016 — after a $91,741 raise in 2015 — bringing his total salary for the calendar year to $585,394, according to a state payroll database.

“Dr. Tomblin’s duties and reporting lines were expanded when he was promoted to vice president for FY2014,” Vice President for administration and finance Werner Golling said in an email. “Additionally he secured additional external funding in FY2015 and FY2016.”

Tomblin is the highest paid Wichita State employee. Besides VP of research and finance, he is the executive director of the National Institute for Aviation Research and president of the WSU Innovation Alliance Board, which is a nonprofit set up to manage Innovation Campus.

Since 2011, Tomblin’s salary has increased by $244,474.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Tomblin gets another raise”

1. Robbery on May 1st, 2017 6:05 pm

Total and complete robbery. How much does he make from the company he and his wife have in Innovation Campus. Pretty good gig managing a private business while working for the state.

[Reply]

2. Faculty/Staff Equity? on May 1st, 2017 6:33 pm

Are all faculty treated the same? Are they all keeping the same percentage of grant funds they generate? Deltha Colvin generates hundreds of thousands of dollars annually with the grants she brings to WSU. How much of a raise has she received for the additional external funding she has secured through her federal grants? Any? Ravi Pendse used to bring in several hundreds of thousands of dollars in external funding. What raise did he get annually for securing those grants? When Ravi left WSU he had several million dollars in accounts for grants he secured. Where did all that money go? How do Indirect funds work and who gets that money? Shouldn’t grant funds to the purpose the grant application states?

[Reply]

3. Bob on May 2nd, 2017 3:00 pm

He earns every penny. NIAR alone does $40 million of research a year. And he is the lead man for bringing all if the companies to the innovation campus. Which is not only giving students real world experience and giving them jobs, but generating fully time employment opportunities for the community. I’d say he has some worth to WSU and the Wichita community.

[Reply]

4. Conflict on May 4th, 2017 10:14 am

He also gets to run his own business in Innovation Campus. Sweet gig. If he leaves the same things will happen.

[Reply]

5. Faculty/staff equity on May 6th, 2017 8:05 am

Wow! Andy Schlapp got a $21,000 increase. Now we employ Ty Masterson. Like the President, have they even been on campus?

[Reply]

• Tomblin gets another raise

Student Body President Hungate’s parents subject of alleged racial incident directed at former Student Body President Shepard

• Tomblin gets another raise

10 seniors awarded Senior Honor Men and Women distinction

• Tomblin gets another raise

Christine Schneikart-Luebbe honored — questions remain

• Tomblin gets another raise

Best of Wichita

Best of Wichita: Saul gravy at Doo-Dah Diner

• Tomblin gets another raise

Linnabary accepts SGA nomination, no longer with The Sunflower

• Tomblin gets another raise

Female allegedly sexually assaulted by 2 males on WSU campus

• Campus

Two killed, two hurt in Oklahoma crash

• Tomblin gets another raise

SGA Debates: A disappoinment

• Tomblin gets another raise

Azad reinstated as student body vice president, suspension lifted

• Tomblin gets another raise

WATC affiliation document presented to faculty senate