SGA releases statement addressing protestors’ demands

Sandra+Carlo+reads+a+list+of+demands+of+Student+Body+President+Paige+Hungate.+

Sandra Carlo reads a list of demands of Student Body President Paige Hungate.

Student Government Association released a statement Tuesday responding to demands put forward by students during a sit-in protest in the student government office known as Occupy SGA.

The sit-in, which took place May 10 and 11, was held to “call for accountability of student government officers,” according to the protest group’s Facebook event, following a university investigation of an alleged racially-charged incident by Student Body President Paige Hungate’s parents directed at Joseph Shepard, former student body president.

Cabinet members of student government began a series of diversity trainings this week, the statement said.

The statement said SGA members are taking steps “ensuring all members of the University go through diversity training.”

The statement also announced the upcoming launch of a program for WSU employees that will require attending a set number of “diversity-related events, training, seminars, and workshops.”

Among the demands addressed in the statement was a request for support of an independent LGBTQ center on campus.

According to the statement, Vice President of Student Affairs Teri Hall approved the addition of a full-time LGBTQ coordinator and a graduate student assistant last month.

New buildings on innovation campus are set to build single-occupancy restroom options in response to requests for gender-neutral restrooms, the statement said.

Student protesters also demanded that Hungate “step down temporarily until the investigation is closed due to the conflict of interest.”

Hungate said she would not step down from her role in a statement the day of the sit-in.