Adiós, Doritos Locos: New food options coming to Wichita State

Taco Bell and Erberts & Gerberts will be replaced.

The+Taco+Bell+in+the+Rhatigan+Student+Center+will+be+replaced+with+Sono%2C+a+fast+food+Mexican+restaurant+retailer.+
The Taco Bell in the Rhatigan Student Center will be replaced with Sono, a fast food Mexican restaurant retailer.

Evan Pflugradt

Evan Pflugradt

Say goodbye to the Crunchwrap Supreme — Wichita State is changing its lunch options.

The university announced Chartwells will be the new food contractor, replacing Sodexo, whose contract expires June 30. Chartwells was awarded a 5-year contract by the university.

Taco Bell in the Rhatigan Student Center will be replaced with Sono, a fast food Mexican concept offering tacos, burritos, and rice bowls similar to Chipotle. Construction will begin in July when Chartwells takes ownership. Sono is expected to open in time for the fall semester.

Erberts & Gerberts in the RSC will be swapped for Mondo Subs. Construction will also begin in July, with an anticipated opening set for the fall semester.

Chick-Fil-A and Pizza Hut will remain in operation.

The Groundhouse will start serving coffee products from Reverie Coffee Roasters, a Wichita-owned and operated retailer. A select offering of Starbucks items will continue to be available at Fast Break, located in the RSC. Fast Break will transform to a full Starbucks, undergoing construction during the winter break and opening ahead of the spring semester.

Chartwells said they will continue to honor and employ Sodexo employees at their current pay rate, assuming they pass a background check.

11 Comments

11 Responses to “Adiós, Doritos Locos: New food options coming to Wichita State”

1. Jamie on June 27th, 2017 2:53 pm

Are you kidding me? This is so stupid. Taco Bell was one of the best places to eat for lunch because it’s not extremely over priced.

[Reply]

2. Emily schlenker on June 27th, 2017 5:28 pm

More like adios, affordable lunch.

[Reply]

3. Sandwiches on June 28th, 2017 7:54 am

But can Chartwells make good sandwiches? That is all that matters because a bad sandwich is why Sodexo is out the door. Hard to believe, but true.

[Reply]

4. Eric Stuewe on June 28th, 2017 8:22 pm

What else is new. Something that was there before wasn’t the greatest, so we got something worse and more expensive.

Not only did like having an *affordable* Taco Bell conveniently on campus, I was often impressed with their food. But hey, it’s all good ’cause now I can go eat off-campus more. Bardo, next time you send out a survey, pay attention to the opinions we give, because I sure of heck didn’t say get rid of the best option in the RSC, and probably campus.

[Reply]

5. All american republican on June 30th, 2017 4:35 pm

Guys from information I herd, Sodexo didn’t turn a profit. Even though toco bell is extremely affordable, Sodexo still lost money. What you probably didn’t know is that in the Sodexo contract, if Sodexo does not make a profit then the RSC footed the amount lost i.e. student money was being used to cover Sodexo losses. What is more disturbing is that the administration of Wichita thinks that WSU needs a retail space in the innovation campus when a food court in the middle of campus with the most foot traffic cannot turn a profit. If only, if only, we all had some financial common sense.

[Reply]

6. Maybe on July 2nd, 2017 7:40 pm

If Sodexo lost money it would only have been in the last year. That would coincide with the time Bardo and Tomblin pushed to amend the contract so other other vendors could be used. They had that one bad sandwich and hated the contract was followed. Nothing new to that.

I would assume student fees will subsidize Innovation Campus losses. Curious to know how many millions Innovation is raking in for campus and academics. Or has that all gone to the company of the KBOR Chair?

[Reply]

7. Daniel Murphy on July 12th, 2017 4:45 pm

Great article Evan – like your writing style 😉

[Reply]

8. Jason Carmichael on July 15th, 2017 6:14 pm

So, Sodexo out, and Chartwells is in.

Beer at Baseball,
    Beer at Bowling, how about;
    Beer at Basketball???

Football is on the way. AAC here the practice field coming where Fairmount is…

Great times.

[Reply]

Mr. Money Reply:

No. No football. The students will vote it down. We already pay $700/year for basketball… i.e your entertainment. If you want football then the students will not foot the bill for it, it will 100% have to come from the alumni. So sorry football ain’t happening. We will also do our best to not destroy Fairmont towers to ensure practice fields cannot be built.

[Reply]

9. Jason Carmichael on July 18th, 2017 1:58 pm

http://thesunflower.com/18516/news/wichita-state-to-move-students-from-university-housing-to-private-apartment-complex/

[Reply]

Mr. Money Reply:

Are you aware that Wichita state is a failing university? at the four year mark only 19% of freshman graduate due to unnecessary bureaucracy, terrible advisors, and lack of professors to teach classes. Get rid of sports until WSU is academically successful.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/wichita-state-university/academic-life/graduation-and-retention/

[Reply]

• Adiós, Doritos Locos: New food options coming to Wichita State

Lyston Skerritt resigns from Wichita State

Arts & Culture

Fresh off a camel, Brian Regan heads to Wichita, preps for Netflix specials

Student Body President Hungate issues statement of response, protestors continue sit-in

Students protest Wichita State Student Body President Paige Hungate

Shepard to press charges for alleged discriminatory incident

University issues statement on hate speech, discriminatory behavior

Bird found hung in Azad family’s yard

Student Body President Hungate’s parents subject of alleged racial incident directed at former Student Body President Shepard

Graduation Guide

The Sunflower year in review

There’s a lot of beauty in ordinary things