Sooners rack up 15 runs against freshmen pitching unit

Freshman Connor Lungwitz retired the first two batters in Oklahoma’s lineup in Tuesday’s one-game series with the Sooners. Lungwitz would not close out the inning unscathed.

Oklahoma junior Austin O’Brien doubled into center field scoring a runner from second base. Runners advanced to third, while O’Brien stood to second before being batted in by Oklahoma left fielder Hunter Haley – the Sooners put up three runs in the first in route to a 15-7 OU victory.

Lungwitz recorded his first loss of the season after throwing two innings; he allowed five runs while on the mound.

Freshman pitcher Robby Evans relieved Lungwitz in the third inning. Evans allowed six runs on three hits through two-thirds of an inning. Oklahoma added eight runs in the third inning, breaking double-digits in three innings.

Eight WSU pitchers took the mound in the loss, none pitched for more than two complete innings. Lungwitz pitched a game-high 52 pitches.

Wichita State had two fielding errors in the third inning, in addition to another in the second, creating a scoring outlet for OU.

Haley doubled into left field, scoring O’Brien at the top of the rotation in the third inning to start the scoring run. Haley scored two batters later after a fielder’s choice RBI, and two fielding errors kept the Sooners on base throughout the remainder of the inning as they posted three more runs from Haley and O’Brien again, Oklahoma cycled through their batting rotation for the second time in the inning.

Oklahoma added three more in the fourth inning, with a homerun to center field by designated hitter Cody Thomas. At the bottom of the fifth inning, Wichita State entered the batter’s box trailing 14-0.

WSU redshirt freshman Jordan Boyer tripled into left center field putting the Shockers in the box score for the first time through six innings. Boyer had three hits in four at-bats, scoring two runs with his triple in the fifth inning.

Boyer tagged home plate after sophomore second baseman Keenan Eaton singled through the second base-gap. The hitting-streak continued with freshman Alec Bohm doubling into left field, scoring two batters and freshman Luke Ritter following with a single into left field.

Ritter singled into left field to add two more RBIs closing out the fifth inning with six Shocker runs.

A wild pitch allowed Ritter to score in the eighth inning for the Shocker’s seventh run, but it wasn’t enough to rally back the double-digit deficit.

The Shockers continue Missouri Valley conference play with a three-game home series hosting Missouri State at 6:30 p.m. Friday at Eck Stadium.

UPCOMING GAMES AT ECK STADIUM:

Missouri State at 6:30 p.m. Friday

Missouri State at 2 p.m. Saturday

Missouri State at 1 p.m. Sunday