WSU’s Hispanic engineering students to inspire youth, parents in ‘Noche de Ciencias’

Growing up, Job Arredondo was always interested in science fiction.

As a high school student in Dodge City, he asked a group of college students, “Who could build structures and space cars?”

Aerospace or engineering students, they told him.

Now a senior studying mechanical engineering at Wichita State, Arredondo hopes to pay it forward later this week.

“As a Hispanic, you don’t really know what engineering is,” he said. “The best way to really become an engineer is know somebody beforehand. That’s something that Hispanics aren’t really exposed to.”

Arredondo is the president of WSU’s Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, which will host “Noche de Ciencias” (science night) at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at North High School in Wichita. The activity is an effort to build a network and support system for young Hispanics and their parents in the Wichita area.

“Many of these kids would be first-generation college students,” said Maria Verdana, a WSU aerospace engineering alumnus and the organization’s previous president. “In the Hispanic culture … you go work right after high school and start making money for your family without realizing that might get you through for now, but if you invest and get a college degree — especially in engineering — you’ll be able to make a lot more money.”

This Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers at WSU is a collegiate chapter of the national organization, which aims to serve as role models to the Hispanic community. The WSU organization oversees the junior chapter at North High.

Hispanic children ranging from kindergartners to high school seniors will participate in science activities and a panel discussion with engineering professionals. 

“You don’t see a lot of Hispanic people [in engineering],” Verdana said. “That’s one of the things that will intimidate a minority. We’re trying to get rid of that stigma.”

The night will also consist of workshops — in English and Spanish — for parents to learn more about financial aid from WSU.

“It’s about exposing students to engineering,” Arredondo said, “but more importantly, talking to parents about how to apply for financial aid, how to get their kids to apply to college and what kind of steps they need to take.”