Local development group investing in students’ future

Construction on Grandview Terrace Apartments has been pushed indoors due to cold weather, but will continue outdoors in the spring.

Farha Development purchased the Grandview Terrace Apartments, 1736 N. Hillside, in December 2015 and is now completing a $1 million remodel of the building.

According to Mark Farha, the renovation will add an additional five apartment units to the 31-unit complex, as well as upgrade the existing apartments. Upon completion of the project, each unit will have updated fixtures, a kitchen, a bathroom and other amenities such as new flooring.

Although artist sketches were not yet available, Farha said that the remodel would complement the era in which the building was originally built.

“It’s going to be really cool,” Farha said.

Farha said the apartment complex was originally built by Beech for students, and he plans to promote the apartments to Wichita State students once again.

With the student population and their unique needs in mind, Farha said the plans for the building include better parking, which would be “repositioned to better suit the facility.”

There would also be several adaptions to the building to improve security. Farha said the parking lot would be more secure with additional new exterior lighting and a required security code for access into the building.

Once inside the building, each unit would require a smart lock for entry.

“It’s encouraging,” said Lou Heldman, vice president of Strategic Communications at WSU, “to see private divisions investing in upgrading properties near campus.”

“I wouldn’t mind living closer,” said Michael McNickle, a senior English major. “It’s unnerving to hear the crime reports [through school email].”

McNickle went on to say the security features being added to the apartments would help to put his mind at ease about living in the area.

Other students shared McNickle’s worries over safety. Cathy Nong, a senior accounting student, said the area surrounding campus is “a little scary.” “It’s just better for the campus and everybody on it,” Nong said regarding the safety of the new apartment complex.

Safety isn’t the only concern for students interested in near-campus housing. With the recent activity on and near campus, however, it is a concern that any developer will have to address.