Shepard: ‘I was prepared to resign’

Student Body President Joseph Shepard listens to Senate debates Wednesday. Shepard authored a resolution to remove himself from office.

About two minutes before Wednesday’s Student Government Association meeting, a resolution appeared on SGA’s Orgsync page.

The document was titled “Resolution for the Removal of Joseph W. Shepard as Student Body President.” The resolution was authored by Shepard and sponsored by SGA Chief of Staff Kiah Duggins and academics committee chairman Dalton Glasscock.

“I thought, ‘If senators are shaking with my leadership, if they don’t know whether or not they want me to be their leader, let me give them the opportunity to take me out of office,’” Shepard said.

Senators discussed the matter for about 45 minutes and ultimately decided to delay the resolution until the Dec. 2 meeting.

The resolution states if Senate felt Shepard could not longer serve in his role, then Senate encourages him to resign, effective immediately.

Shepard said he thought about authoring the bill after the SGA cabinet meeting earlier in the day Wednesday. He said it came about after learning about several social media group chats advocating for his removal as student body president. He said those chats included some members of the senate, but would not name anyone specifically, citing the senators’ safety and out of respect for them as individuals.

However, the resolution could not be read, because it was posted well shy of the 48-hour rule, which SGA passed earlier in the semester. The 48-hour rule states no resolution can be read by Senate if it is not made available to senators at least 48 hours in advance.

In order to be read, a two-thirds majority of senate had to approve reading the resolution.

The resolution failed to get that majority, delaying it until Dec. 2.

Two different sides

SGA entered into heavy debate Wednesday regarding reading the resolution. Two clear sides existed: those in favor of reading the bill Wednesday and those opposed.

Sen. Paige Hungate was against the bill being read.

“I think the bill was brought up as a mockery for what was going on,” she said, referring to Shepard’s plan to protest university President John Bardo when the Kansas Board of Regents visited Wichita State earlier in the day Wednesday.

Hungate said she met with some of her constituents, who did raise concerns about Shepard’s behavior and asked questions about the procedures for impeaching Shepard.

“I have definitely been open about it with them, but that’s been translated into a rumor that I was planning on impeaching President Shepard, which was never my intent,” Hungate said. “I never planned on trying to impeach him.”

Matthew Brinkmeyer, chairman of SGA’s Campus Issues Committee, was also against the resolution. He had several reasons for opposing the resolution’s reading, including its timing, which he said was not fair to the senators.

He said any possibility of an impeachment should not be left to Senate.

“We are not senators representing ourselves, we are senators representing the student body,” Brinkmeyer said. “I just don’t think it’s appropriate for us to be discussing that as senators, and asking him to resign if he doesn’t represent us well.”

On the other hand, senators spoke up in favor of reading the resolution, regardless of the outcome.

Glasscock said he would have rather had the resolution enter the floor to be voted on Wednesday.

“I hate it when people try and dodge issues and try and gather evidence for their side,” he said. “I think a lot of the time, you get honest answers when you speak from the heart.”

He said the resolution should have been read Wednesday because with its delay, it will be focused on for the next two weeks, rather than other issues Senate could focus on.

Duggins, who co-sponsored the resolution with Glasscock, said it was important to address any senator concerns now rather than later.

“I sponsored the bill because I agreed with [Shepard] that he should give people the opportunity to say how they feel and to ask for his resignation if that’s how they so felt,” she said.

Prepared to resign’

As the author of the resolution, Shepard said he was serious about resigning from his position.

“I was prepared to resign,” he said. “No ands, ifs or buts about it. If my senators were unhappy with my leadership, then let’s put somebody else in who can do the job for you.”

Shepard said he was disappointed in senators who felt he should have been removed not speaking up about their opposition to his leadership.

“I know there are senators who do want me removed and instead of being transparent and saying it in front of everyone, they’d rather beat around the bush and they’d rather not be open and honest,” Shepard said.

He said, ultimately, the decision was up to the Senate.

“I think the question was, ‘Are you happy as a Senate?’” he said. “Meaning you individuals in this room, not the 14,000 students at this university, you are part of Senate, are you happy with my leadership? And if not, speak up.”

Had Shepard resigned, SGA Vice President Khondoker Usama would have been appointed president, while an interim vice president would have been selected, Shepard said. Afterward, a special election would be held, in which the student body would be able to vote on having Usama in the role. If not, Duggins would take the position, Shepard said.

Support

Shepard’s supporters in Senate say SGA would likely vote to keep Shepard in as student body president.

“I have no doubt in my mind that Joseph’s support group will keep him in office,” SGA Legislative Director Jarvis Lawson said.

Glasscock said the debate showed that Shepard has the support of the majority of Senate.

“There is still probably a few who are disenfranchised, but I still think this showed that he does have the majority’s support, so I expect the resolution to fail,” he said.

Duggins applauded Shepard for speaking up and realizing there were concerns about his position.

“It takes a lot of courage to be able to say, ‘Hey, I may not be able to be what my followers want, and so maybe I need to consider that I need to step out of the way and give them to have the opportunity to give them something they want,’” Duggins said.

Future

For now, Shepard said he is on his tiptoes about what his fate will be. He encouraged senators to meet with him and address any concerns they have about his leadership.

Marché Fleming-Randle, SGA’s adviser, said she wants to be a part of the meetings between senators and Shepard.

“I want to hear the students’ concerns,” she said. “I want to sit with them to say what’s on their mind. I’ll be the medium and they can say whatever they want to him.”

Fleming-Randle said she was “blindsided” by the resolution.

“I’m just at a loss for words,” she said. “I have to process this.”