Softball dominates against Seminole, remains undefeated

Freshman Laurie Anne Derrico slides into second base to avoid being tagged out Tuesday against Seminole; she was successful and remained safe on second. The Shockers won 16-3 to remain 8-0 so far in their fall season.

The Wichita State softball team had no trouble coming out with a 16-3 win Tuesday against Seminole State College.

The win extends WSU’s undefeated fall record to 8-0.

“We have solid defense this year,” WSU head coach Kristi Bredbenner said. “We need to utilize that with the last game coming up on Friday.”

Overall, the Shockers excelled by out-hitting the Seminoles 21-10 and scoring in every inning except the second, fourth, seventh and eighth. The Shockers also only had one error compared with Seminole’s four.

While the Seminoles scored one run in the top of the first inning, the Shockers answered with four runs in the bottom of the first, and didn’t stop after that.

Thanks to two leading hitters — redshirt senior Cacy Williams and freshman Laurie Anne Derrico — the game quickly turned around for the Shockers.

Williams hit a solo homerun in the bottom of the first inning to start the onslaught.

“I’m feeling really good,” she said. “I just changed my swing and am ready for the spring season to start. We’ve been hitting really well and the season is going to be exciting with all of the utility players we have.”

Overall, Williams ended the day with four at-bats, one hit and one RBI.

Even though it’s usually juniors and seniors that take the lead, Derrico made sure to make the most of her first, complete-game opportunity for the Shockers.

Derrico ended the day against Seminole with four at-bats, two hits and three RBIs.

“This was the first game that I got to play and hit the whole time,” she said. “We’ve been playing really well and I’m really confident in this team.”

Like her upperclassmen counterparts, Derrico said she also looks forward to the spring season, but remains a little nervous.

“The only thing I’m worried about is the movement with these Division I pitchers,” she said. “In high school you don’t see much movement, but I’ll adjust. I got to see some great movement against Creighton and didn’t really have any issues.”

While the fall season is slowly drawing to a close, only a few games remain. The Shockers play Southern Nazarene at C. Howard Wilkins Softball Complex at 6:30 p.m. Friday; the season closes with games starting at 3 p.m. each day Oct. 14 through 16 for the Black and Gold World Series, also at Wilkins Complex.

“We basically need to stick to what Coach Bredbenner tells us for these last couple games,” Williams said. “She tells us to come out and hop on them, come out in full force and have quality at-bats.”