SGA working on bill to promote campus safety

A bill to promote campus safety got its second read during Student Government Association’s meeting Wednesday.  

The bill in part states SGA will support observing a campus safety awareness week and support hosting campus safety walks both on and off campus.

Student Body Vice President Khondoker Usama wrote the bill and said it is important because it will address concerns of safety both on and off campus.

“It is of great importance not only because we care about Shockers, we represent them, but also, we have a responsibility as a Shocker Nation being part of the greater Wichita community,” Usama said. “Anything we can do to add to the whole picture is great.”

The bill states the university should “increase its efforts and knowledge regarding campus security for Shockers” and “there is a significant amount of enthusiasm existent among the students of this university about hosting regular safety walks every semester.”

Usama said he has met with Chief of University Police Sara Morris about the bill and said she has been supportive of the bill and its goals.

Passage of the bill was delayed until the next Senate meeting Oct. 28 to make sure as many concerns as possible are addressed.

Usama said he plans to meet with Morris again before the next meeting to further gauge ideas from her.

“I really want to make sure her concerns and recommendations, wherever we can into the resolution, that we include them,” Usama said.

In addition, Usama said this bill is about action and not simply passing another resolution.

“We want to walk the walk with this bill,” he said.

Rubén Lebrón, a chairmen of the organization outreach committee, is a sponsor of the bill. He agreed the bill will require action on SGA’s part, in addition to passing it.

“What we want to do with this resolution is not to just pass a resolution to say something that we want to do,” Lebrón said. “We actually want to make it be concrete action.”

For Student Body President Joseph Shepard, the bill works to serve Wichita State students who live off campus in the areas surrounding the university.

“We want to make sure we are protecting not only our institution, but the community that our students live in, too, because they are a vital part to our institution,” Shepard said.

SGA will meet at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in RSC 233. The meeting will be Halloween -themed, and Senators have been encouraged to attend the meeting in costume.