Students seek out SGA for assistance

Student Body President Joseph Shepard reiterated the need for Student Government Association to serve all Wichita State students Wednesday .

“Our job is not to be political all the time,” he said. “Our job is to serve students in any area that we possibly can.”

During his report to Student Senate on Wednesday night, Shepard stressed providing resources to students in need. Shepard said he was visited by a student recently who was able to afford living on campus, but did not have enough money for a meal plan.

Rather than live on campus with no access to food, Shepard said the student opted to drive home to Olathe — a three-hour drive — from WSU every day.

After hearing the student’s story, Shepard said he worked with Katie Austin of Housing and Residence Life to get the student moved into Fairmount Towers. Shepard said Austin is helping the student find a job.

Shepard said he has heard from one other student who was having similar troubles. He wants SGA to get involved in helping students with problems such as these.

“If these are two students on our campus who are faced with these issues, I know there are several more,” he said. “As an institution and a Student Government Association, it’s our role to protect these students and provide them with the tools and resources that they need.”

Another item during Wednesday’s meeting included the passing of several resolutions, all of which were given a second read during the meeting.

Resolutions included removing the Oversight and Inquiry Committee, the creation of an academics committee, amendments to SGA elections dates, updates to removal of directors and updating the duties of chairpersons.

All resolutions passed unanimously with the exception of the removal of directors, which passed with one dissent.

Five new students were also sworn in during the meeting as Senators At-Large: Katie Deutsch, Kelvin Lopez and Paige Hungate. Arely Navarette Velaz and Hadi Zayed were sworn in as Liberal Arts and Sciences senators.

“They have experience with governmental relations and all of them are involved on the campus in some way, shape or form,” he said.

The final act of business was the reading of an individual funding bill. The bill will fund a trip for a student to attend the Biomedical Engineering Society conference. It passed unanimously with no debate.

SGA will meet again at 6:30 p.m. next Wednesday in room 233 of

the Rhatigan Student Center.