Big Pink Volleyball to serve up big fun this weekend

In April 2002, students from Western Illinois University concocted an idea that involved a giant pink volleyball, breast cancer and donations to charity.

After 13 years, 15 participating institutions and $115,100 in donations, the event is going strong, according to Big Pink Volleyball’s national website.

The 4th annual tournament will return to the Wichita State campus fourth time this year at 2 p.m. Saturday, in the Heskett Center gym. The tournament is double-elimination and games will be played with the same rules as volleyball, except participants will have to use a four-foot-wide pink volleyball. Registration costs $7 per person and includes a T-shirt. All proceeds go to local breast cancer charities, organizers said.

The Student Wellness Action Team (S.W.A.T.) — a student-led organization that aims to promote healthy choices — will be providing the commodities and is organizing the event.

About 125 participants attended the tournament last year, said Heather Stafford, associate director of Student Health Services, and nearly $1,400 in donations were collected.

Games last about 20 minutes, Stafford said, “so (the tournament) goes really fast. It is usually about four hours long (and) people can play basketball in between their games.”

Beverages and snacks will also be available to participants.

Stafford said proceeds generated from the tournament will go toward two local charities that support breast cancer — Victory in the Valley and Early Detection Works.

Early Detection Works provides free diagnostic testing, mammograms and ultrasounds. Victory in the Valley offers support services to cancer patients, such as gas money, transportation and groceries. The charity also helps patients find childcare and proper wigs during treatment, Stafford said.

Two-time tournament participant, Karolina Mosa, said she understands the importance of charity involved in the Big Pink Volleyball.

“I think it’s just a fun event (that) brings students together and supports awareness … of breast cancer,” said Mosa, director of special events and operations for Campus Recreation.

Besides Big Pink Volleyball being for a good cause, Mosa also said the tournament is just good fun.

“It’s so hard sometimes to control (the volleyball),” she said. “You need to use your strength to get the ball over the net. You kind of have to punch it.”

For example, there’s “no way” to set the inflated ball, Mosa explained. With the absence of setting, spiking becomes improbable. Instead, players punch and smack the ball to get it over the net.

This Saturday, Mosa said she plans on participating with one of the two teams made up of Campus Recreation staff members.

“It brings a lot of money to support a good cause,” she said, “and at the same time, you get your friends together and have fun playing Big Pink Volleyball.”