Adams puts Wichita State on the map

Wichita State women’s basketball is a team that has loomed in the shadow of the men’s program for years. In fact, in the 38 years of the women’s basketball program, they have only won two conference championships — 2013 and ’14.

These two trophies display the success head coach Jody Adams and senior standout Alex Harden have instilled at WSU.

Wichita State has struggled to find a coach. In 2008, Adams was hired only a week after leading Murray State to a 24-8 overall record, an Ohio Valley Tournament Championship and an appearance in the NCAA tournament. She was a hire that former Wichita State athletic director Jim Schaus called “the biggest steal of the century.”  

Athletic director Eric Sexton, who was hired on after Adams joined the team said, “I wish I was the one responsible for her hiring. The hire of coach Adams was a no-brainer, with all the experience as both a player and a coach, plus she brings with her a lot of impressive accolades.”

She signed the 47th and 48th ranked recruiting classes in 2010 and 2013, and both were the first two ranked recruiting classes in WSU history — including Alex Harden.

Since Harden’s arrival at WSU, she has hit the ground running and has not looked back. As a freshman, Harden was named to the MVC All-Freshmen Team, while shooting .454 from the floor during nine starts and 33 games played. Her sophomore year, she garnished MVC Tournament MVP, MVC Defensive Player of the Year, All-MVC First Team and set the school record for most games played in a single season with 34, while helping guide the Shockers to their first NCAA Tournament appearance.

Junior year, Harden stepped into the leadership role for the Shockers and helped lead them to back-to-back conference championships and the first back-to-back appearances in school history at the NCAA tournament. She also became the 14th ranked scorer in WSU history and 19th Shocker to reach 1,000 points in her career.

The women’s team finished 14-4 in the Valley last year, and is already tabbed to finish first again this season. With the loss of Michelle Price, who averaged 12 points and seven rebounds per game, the Shockers will need to find a replacement to make up for that gap.

With this being the final year for Harden, a player who has spear-headed the most successful WSU women’s basketball season, Adams is preparing for the last time she is able to coach Harden.

“Alex has been my first who exemplifies a true student athlete at the highest level,” Adams said. “She has been one of my most coachable athletes that has allowed me to push her even after she knew she was called the best player in the conference.”