Students to help rebuild New Orleans over spring break

Up to 35 Wichita State students have the opportunity to help others this spring break in March.

Student Involvement is sponsoring an alternative spring break trip by sending between 20 and 35 students to New Orleans, La., March 16-22. The trip is the first of its kind and gives students the opportunity to see the sights of New Orleans and help those affected by Hurricane Katrina.

Nick Messing, coordinator of student leadership and service-learning with Student Involvement, said debris from the hurricane remains after it destroyed the city in August 2005.

“It’s not in the media,” he said, “so people don’t realize, but eight, nine years later and there’s still a lot of stuff down there.” 

Alternative spring break has partnered with a local non-profit organization called National Relief Network, which is organizing the specific service projects for the students. 

Students will travel by charter bus and stay in a church. Travelers need to bring a sleeping bag, mat or air mattress and pillow.

So far, Messing said he knows most of the projects will be home restoration and involve manual labor.

Besides the manual labor side of the trip, Chase Billingham, assistant professor of sociology, will bring educational sessions to the trip, also.

“It will be an educational experience but also be able to serve as well,” Messing said, “which is a really cool experience.”

Registration and a $100 non-refundable down payment are due by Friday. After the down payment, the cost of the trip will be $350.

Messing said he hopes the university will create more opportunities like this in the future. Other, larger universities, he said, might have up to five different trips students can choose from during spring break.

“I think a lot of people travel not to do things for others,” he said. “But really going out there and seeing a different culture within our country…taking a part in this is something they’ll remember after graduation.”