Balancing school and professional life

I would be lying if I said I didn’t think most of my fellow students had a part-time job, in addition to being full-time students.

Since starting college, I’ve been employed by two part-time jobs while attending classes at WSU full-time. It may sound like quite a bit to deal with, but it’s pretty easy to handle, if you know what you’re doing.

So, here I am to give all of you working students some advice on how to balance the work life with your education.

1. Don’t let one become more important than the other 

This was a trap I fell into during my first year as a student. I let my work become more important to me than my education, something one of my co-workers was quick to tell me was the wrong thing to do.

I also suggest not having your education become more important than your job, at least not to the point where you’re taking time off multiple times a week. Balance the two. Make some sacrifices. Take time off only when it’s absolutely necessary.

2. Remember to cut loose

Take it from me, working two jobs and being a full-time college student is no picnic. Earlier this spring, I was working four days a week, while only going to school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. 

I often joked, “A day off, what’s that?” That’s part of the reason I left the job that took too much of my time. 

Most of us college students are fairly young; use that to your advantage to enjoy your time in school. It may be hard to do, but try to have a job and school schedule that gives you at least one day off a week. Saturdays are my one day off during the week now. I enjoy every single second of those days.

3. Make friends with your co-workers 

This is especially important if you work on-campus. One of my jobs, obviously my job here at The Sunflower, is on-campus, and a good amount of my closest friends are the ones I work with here at the newspaper. 

Even if you don’t work on campus, make friends with your co-workers. Not only does it make working more fun, but it helps you build connections, which is the key to getting your dream job in this day and age.

4. Have Fun 

I know it sounds cliché, but have fun while you’re working. My previous job was as a custodian at a YMCA. While I can definitely say the work was not glamorous, I made the most of it. There are infinite ways you can make your own fun. 

If you don’t have fun while working, you’ll grow tired of the job and eventually quit or be asked to leave.

Follow these quick rules of advice when you enter the workforce as a part-time worker. 

Do these especially if you start working full–time while in college. If you remember these tips, your work experience will be that much better. I can guarantee it.