Fine Arts offers free tickets to students

Going to a movie at a movie theater in Wichita will cost $10. Going to a College of Fine Arts event on the Wichita State campus is free.

“Students would have to go a great distance to see…the quality of student and faculty performances and presentations that they see on this campus,” said Rodney Miller, dean of the College of Fine Arts.

The College of Fine Arts gives more than 500 presentations and productions each year, and this year most of them are free to WSU students.

“We do some really wonderful things. Our productions, our concerts, are surprisingly good,” Miller said. “Students who haven’t been participating would be very surprised and amazed at the level of the quality.”

Last semester, the College of Fine Arts and the Student Government Association reached a new funding agreement: The College of Fine Arts receives 25 cents of student fees for every credit hour paid to the university.

Miller said there were two objectives for this.

“One [objective] was to provide the College of Fine Arts with some much needed support and funding for the performances and productions that we do.,” Miller said. “The second one was to open our events to WSU students so they are more accessible.”

With the new policy in place, students can pick up one free ticket for most events from the Fine Arts Box Office in lobby of Duerksen Fine Arts Center,. They can also come early to an event to obtain a free ticket.

Free admission for students allows them more opportunities to participate in the Arts and to have a college experience outside the classroom, Miller said.