National Student Day to recognize WSU students, offer prizes

You don’t get paid for doing any volunteer work, but students who volunteer might win something for doing good deeds instead.

The second annual National Student Day on Thursday offers volunteers and groups of volunteers to submit text, photographs, drawings and/or videos to www.nationalstudentday.com for votes and judging and the chance to win cash and prizes.

“The voting starts Thursday and you go online to vote,” Shelly Martins, Rhatigan Student Center director of marketing, said.

The entries must be posted Thursday, too. Friday is too late.

“This is a chance to say what I’ve done,” Martins said.

The cash prizes are $3,000, $2,000 and $1,000 for first-, second- and third-place entries, Martins said. Seven other randomly selected entries will win an iPad or other scholarships.

The first 100 currently enrolled WSU students to donate food to the Kansas Food Bank or a pet toy or pet food to Lifeline Animal Placement & Protection (LAPP) will receive a 20 percent discount to almost anything in the bookstore including textbooks; textbook rentals are not included. All students can enter to win a 32-inch flat screen television by making a donation to the bank or LAPP.

Donations are accepted at the bookstore starting at 8 a.m.

Andi Stipp, assistant bookstore director, said “mystery items” will be sold in two-hour intervals: 8 a.m. to 10 a.m., 10 a.m. to noon, noon to 2 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Thursday.

Martins said “It’s like Kmart blue-light special.”

Another four items—an 8 gigabit flash drive, pink or gold tumbler mugs, WSU T-shirts and Under Armour cinch sacks—will be on sale for $10 the whole day.

Stipp said the idea behind National Student Day is student recognition.

“It’s student appreciation for students actively involved in our community,” she said.

Suggested items for the bank include canned tuna, chicken and ham, canned fruits and vegetables, juice, peanut butter, beans, bagged rice, pasta, soup, dry cereal, oatmeal and Hamburger Helper. Suggested LAPP items are canned dog food, canned cat food, kitty litter and cleaning supplies such as Mr. Clean, bleach, laundry soap and dog and cat toys.