A pep talk from the Sunflower editor

Welcome to your final college semester. You know, since the world is going to end on Dec. 21 (Don’t know what I’m talking about? See page 4D). 

OK, so the world probably isn’t going to end and this probably isn’t going to be your final semester—unless you happen to be graduating in December or do super lousy in the classroom. 

Nonetheless, maybe you should treat it as your final semester, even if it’s really your first. By my count you only live once, so enjoy yourself a little. Make the most out of your college experience.

No, this doesn’t mean I am saying you should get hammered each night. That’s how you would go about getting kicked out of college because you were too hungover to remember to even put your name on your midterm. 

Please, don’t be that person. 

What I am suggesting is that you be proactive in college. Wichita State has a reputation of being a boring commuter school with little to no school spirit, but the people saying this are the ones that don’t take part in school activities and run away from campus the second class is over. 

The easiest route to becoming a proactive Shocker is to be a fan of the athletic teams. Don’t wear KU or K-State clothing—or heaven forbid OU—around campus. 

I was hardly a proactive student my first couple of years on campus. Then I joined a student organization, and my entire college outlook changed. 

The organization I joined was the Sunflower, which paid, but that’s beside the point. It still forced me to get involved with campus and in turn, I started caring about the university. 

I was no longer just going to class, but actually experiencing college. At least as much as you can at a so-called commuter school. Now I’m even running the paper. I went from paying no attention to campus activities to having my whole life revolve around campus activities. 

And honestly, I couldn’t be happier. 

So what I am saying is this—do SOMETHING! Get involved in some group, some activity. Join SAC, join SGA or join a Greek organization. I really don’t care what you do, as long as it gets you involved at WSU.