Summer choir adds soul to WSU campus

The Wichita State summer choir will be adding a little soul to its repertoire with this year’s theme, “Folk Songs and Spirituals.”

Rehearsals started Monday. The class does not count for credit and is open to anyone who wants to sing. Rehearsals are from 5 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays.

The choir scheduled seven rehearsals to learn fourteen pieces of music.

“A lot of people like the compacted schedule,” Director Tom Wine said. “Enough people read music we can push through quick.”

Last year 72 people enrolled in the class, with ages ranging from high school students to singers in their 80’s, Wine said.

Anyone from the community is encouraged to attend, including college students and music teachers.

“Last night we had 84 people that came in to the first rehearsal, so if someone want to join us Wednesday we’d be happy to have them,” Wine said. “We just have to figure out how to get enough music for them all.”

There is no audition and rehearsals are held in room B101, Duerksen Fine Arts building.

The independent African-American guest choir, “Arise,” will join the summer choir as a special guest for the performance.

The final performance will be held in Wiedemann Recital Hall at 7:30 p.m. on June 28. The cost is $2 for students and $7 for the community. Discounts are available.