Wichita State Student Government Association passes resolution to recognize Black Lives Matter

SGA Senate passes a resolution to recognize Black Lives Matter movement. 

Wednesday evening Wichita State’s Student Government Association passed a resolution to recognize the Black Lives Matter movement on campus. The resolution passed with a vote of 20 to 4.

The resolution detailed multiple statistics involving African Americans being killed by police.

During the public forum before the resolution, Treasurer of the Black Student Union Abriona Williams said, “On this campus we feel we are by ourselves.” Williams was one of many to speak up in support of the resolution.

“We need to see you support this with us,” Williams said. “We do not want to be alone.”

Though the resolution ended in a pass, it was not without naysayers.

A motion by At-Large Senator Austin Shelby was proposed to remove the statistics elements, citing the statistics as not being relevant to Wichita State. Shelby’s motion was denied 6 to 18.

“I do not feel that passing this resolution will mean anything,” Shelby said.

At-Large Senator Paige Hungate also spoke out against the resolution, saying it was not relevant to the campus.

“Although all of us probably have conflicting views on the Black Lives Matter movement, I don’t think that’s what this conversation needs to be centered around,” Hungate said. “The conversation should center around what the scope of SGA is and what our rights as senators are to do. I believe that this resolution doesn’t fall in that.

“Passing a resolution stating we support the Black Lives Matter movement isn’t going to improve really anything on campus. Due to the fact that I don’t really feel this falls under SGA scope, I will be voting no and I just see it is unnecessary to pass this resolution this evening.”

During the debate over the resolution, At-Large Senator Taylor Thomas cited a letter from Trayvon Martin’s mother to Michael Brown’s before acknowledging the resolution.

“Right now, our lives and my black life matter and will continue to matter until justice is served,” Thomas said.

“The fact that these killings, they scare us as black students,” Honors Senator Tracia Banuelos said. “Many of us black students don’t feel comfortable, we are very scared. We don’t want to be the next hashtag. We students are affected by the national debate, so even if we didn’t see a killing in Kansas that doesn’t mean it won’t happen.”

After the meeting adjourned, Senator Banuelos expressed her happiness with the resolution being passed.

“I was really elated it would pass because some of us were worried it wouldn’t,” Banuelos said. “It was never about the political movement but about the Wichita State students. I’m sad that not everyone could see that.”

President of the Black Student Union Khristian Jones said, “It makes me feel great that we have a student government that will stand behind us and other marginalized groups on campus.”

Student Body President Joseph Shepard reflected on the opposition to the resolution after the meeting.

“Everyone’s entitled to their opinion, and I hope that those who voted against will take the time to reflect and see they can still get on board with this movement,” Shepard said.