Westboro Baptist Church expected to protest Friday at WSU

Westboro Baptist Church is expected to protest at Wichita State on Friday because of the university’s inclusion efforts, including the Grace Memorial Chapel.

Topeka-based Westboro Baptist Church, known for its provocative pickets and protests, is expected to be on campus Friday to picket the university’s inclusion efforts, according to a statement from university President John Bardo on Thursday.

“We have another wave coming our way,” Bardo stated, referring to hateful speech.

According to the church’s website — godhatesfags.com — protestors plan to be at Wichita State from 1:10 to 1:45 p.m. Friday. University Police were notified of the protest, which will take place at the Hughes Metropolitan Complex at 21st and Oliver, according to the statement from Bardo, which was sent to faculty, staff and students via Shocker Blast.

Bardo said Westboro was not invited to picket WSU, and he encouraged faculty, staff and students to ignore it, as the interactions only fuel the protesters, he said.

“It is my fervent wish that WSU students, faculty and staff not engage in any way with this group,” he stated in the email. “Ignoring their protest deprives them of the fuel that drives their cause.”

Westboro Baptist Church is well-known for its public protests of veterans’ funerals, LGBTQ rights and those that support diversity.

“Wichita State University, professing ‘tolerance’ set about to open their chapel to all the false religious systems,” the church’s online picket schedule reads. “Since you are a generation of haters of God and haters of each other, you, fear Muslims. God sent the violent Muslims ISIS! ISIS as the rod in God’s hand to punish this generation, and at this hour, you see that it is on a global scale. The nations are rocked by ISIS! WHY does God bring your fears upon you?! We make it plain for WSU.”

At the same time, the French Honor Society at WSU has scheduled a peace rally from noon to 2 p.m. outside Ablah Library as a way to “show solidarity for the victims and for the world.” Attendees are encouraged to bring signs, candles and flowers, and to wear the colors of the French flag.

“We stand with our students in the belief that increased diversity is a vital and welcome component of a healthy learning environment,” Bardo said in his statement. “As our Strategic Plan states, we strive to “be a campus that reflects – in staff, faculty and students – the evolving diversity of society.”

Bardo used the announcement of the Westboro protest also as a time to publicly apologize for hateful comments they received from those off campus during the Grace Memorial Chapel controversy earlier this semester.

“I’m sorry that the students who stood up for their beliefs felt hurt or afraid because of the messages they received,” Bardo wrote. “This university strives in every way to provide a sense of safety.”

University Police and WSU’s General Counsel David Moses reviewed the messages students received to determine if there was a breach of First Amendment rights, and if any arrests were necessary.

“In each case, the writings reviewed were First Amendment-protected free speech,” Bardo wrote.

“To live principled lives sometimes means clashing with those who believe otherwise. I hope we’ll all look back on this period not just as a time of conflict, but as a time of learning and growing.”