Campus bank robbed of unknown cash, no weapons seen

University Police investigate a robbery Thursday inside the Commerce Bank at the Rhatigan Student Center.

The Commerce Bank inside the Rhatigan Student Center was robbed Thursday afternoon, according to a crime alert from the University Police Department.

Around 3 p.m. Thursday, the alert said, an unknown Asian male walked into the bank on the Wichita State campus, threatened the employees and demanded money. No weapons were seen or indicated.

The suspect made off with an undetermined amount of money, exited the RSC through the southeast doors and headed east.

The suspect is described as an Asian male in his 20s, approximately 5 feet 6 inches tall and thin build, the alert said. He was seen wearing black pants, a blue hoodie, a black backpack and a black scarf.

Anyone with information is asked to call the UPD Detective Section at 316-978-345.

Junior Evan Johnson said he was sitting near the west entrance of the bank when he saw the suspect — wearing gloves and a scarf covering his face — walk inside. Johnson said he couldn’t see the inside of the bank, which has entrances on both the west and east side.

“His face was covered,” said Johnson, a communication student. “He had a mask. It covered his nose and mouth.”

Johnson said he thinks the suspect must have fled out the east entrance, because he didn’t see him leave.

“In the middle of the day,” Johnson said. “Luckily he didn’t harm anyone.”

Officers were seen walking the campus afterward. 

Johnson said the robbery Thursday won’t deter him from still going to the RSC.

“Hopefully it’s just an isolated occurrence,” he said. “I don’t think it will happen regularly.”