Making the transition from student to professional life

The professional world may seem like a daunting place from the safety of a classroom. However, the waters of transition are not uncharted. Success can be possible with some planning and preparation.

Director of cooperative education and work-based learning, Connie Dietz, and co-op’s marketing manager, Kim Kufahl, said it is important for students to have an idea of the career they want. A co-operative job or internship can help students get experience, determine whether they like the field they’ve chosen, and add to their resume.

“It has always been important, but it is critical in today’s world that you get the work experience,” Dietz said. “More and more employers, locally and nationally, use their internships as a pipeline for hiring new college grads.”

Additionally, Kufahl stressed the importance of networking.

“Get their business card. If they work for a company you want to work for, email them in a couple of days,” Kufahl said. “Tell them ‘It was great meeting you. If you hear of any openings, I’d be interested.’ A week later, send a LinkedIn invitation so you will have made three contacts with them, and they can remember you.”

For Erin Thacher, an Elliott School of Communication graduate, her relationships with professors made all the difference.

“I received several job tips from past professors who gave me information for jobs that seemed to fit my skills,” Thacher said. “It was crazy not to pursue something that fell into my lap so easily, so I applied.”

These connections led Thacher to a full-time position as the marketing and communication associate at Allen, Gibbs & Houlik, L.C., one of the largest certified public accountant firms in the Midwest.

“It just goes to show the importance of networking and making connections, especially with those that know you best,” Thacher said.

While the job search went smoothly for Thacher, not all experiences are the same. The job search can be long and exhausting for some.

“Don’t get discouraged,” Kufahl said. “Keep trying, keep working and keep networking. You just never know what something will lead to, so don’t burn bridges.”

Since finding a job can sometimes be a challenging process, it is important to put forth the best effort possible after being hired.

“Remember you’re the new kid on the block; you do not know everything,” Dietz said. “Be a sponge.”

Taking notes, dressing professionally and avoiding office politics are key aspects of professional behavior. Punctuality is also essential to success. But perhaps one of the most beneficial things for a young professional to do is to seek out a mentor.

“It’s really cool if you can find someone there after a few months who you like the way they operate,” Dietz said. “Someone who is well respected and knows what they’re doing, and see if they will mentor you a little bit.”

Thacher took this type of advice to heart and continuously keeps in contact with past professors and professionals she admires.

“It is vital,” Thacher said about finding a mentor. “Grow with and around those who embody the type of professional you are working to be, and soon enough, you will be just that.”