Welcomefest eases students into school year

Wichita State will be buzzing with activities for the next few weeks. Games, entertainment and crafts can be found on campus at Welcomefest 2013.

Organized by various student and campus groups, the festivities began Aug. 17 and conclude Aug. 30.

The Back to School Bash kicked off Welcomefest this past Saturday at Duerksen Ampitheater. Inside, booths covered the sidewalks, offering free games, prizes and food.

One activity featured an inflatable bubble race. Participants crawled inside the bubble and attempted to out run their opponent. More traditional games, like a hand toss, received long lines. Another attraction was a drawing for students to win a TV.

“The games are fun,” Sophomore Blake Glasgow said. “It’s really cool to see new faces and meet new people.”

The activities continued Monday and Tuesday with “Welcome Tents” throughout campus. On Tuesday, the tents brought life to the RSC North Patio. Drawn by music and giveaways, many students visited the booths.

“We teamed up with people from the Greek community, student ambassadors and the office of Multi-cultural affairs,” said Jeff Nilsen, a Student Involvement staff member. “It’s a fun way to give out free stuff and get students interested the first few weeks of school.”

Giveaways were plentiful at the welcome tents. Water bottles, candy, t-shirts, sunglasses and buttons were offered to students. Freshmen Maggie Koops and Hannah Robinson stopped at almost every tent and plan to attend more events.

“The beach party sounds fun,” Robinson said. “It would also be pretty fun to watch the ‘Walk a Mile in Her Shoes’ race.”

Koops said these events are helpful because they force students to mingle and make connections. Welcomefest activities continue until Aug. 30.