Safety not an issue for next year’s Isreal trip

Tensions in the Middle East continue to heat up. The conflict is centuries old, and successful negotiations are questionable. 

A Middle East travel seminar will take Wichita State students—as well as guests—right into the action in January of 2014. Well, almost.

International Studies major Jenna Dolecek has traveled to Nepal, Morocco, Greece and South Africa. The list goes on, but does not include Israel. When asked if she is worried about safety on next year’s trip, she said yes and no.  

“Traveling anywhere, especially the Middle East, there are dangers,” Dolecek said. “But there’s no reason to worry about it. Once you’ve traveled a few times, you learn the dos and don’ts…know that you’re not the most favored nationality in the area, so be respectable and don’t draw attention to yourself.”

The group, usually 10 to 15 students, departs from Wichita on Jan. 4. The itinerary includes Bethlehem, Jerusalem, Jericho, Nazareth and other places. All of the destinations, Associate Political Science Prof. Carolyn Shaw assures, are completely safe for student travel.

“It’s as safe as any big city is. There are dangerous places and there are safe places. None of the places on the itinerary are hot spots. We’re not going to the Gaza,” Shaw said with a laugh.

Students interested in the trip must pay a non-refundable $500 deposit due by April 30. The second payment is due in August, and the final payment is due in October. The total cost—which includes airfare, lodging, breakfast and dinner daily, guided bus tours, museum and other entrance fees—comes to $3,575. 

Other costs include lunches, passport fees and tips for drivers and shopping. Students shouldn’t expect to pay more than $5,000.

What students can expect to gain from the trip, Shaw said, is a better historical understanding of the Israeli and Palestinian conflict.

“I think it’s easy to be an armchair secretary of state and just sit there and say ‘why can’t they just make peace?’ I think it will give everyone a greater understanding of why that’s so hard. In a way, it sort of makes those news stories come alive. Because it’s not just a story on the news,” she said.

Anybody interested, including non-WSU students, have to enroll in a pre-session for the spring 2014 semester. The class, 399 Travel Seminar, is offered in one or three credit hours. Dolecek, who is graduating this May, will enroll in the course as an alumnus. For more information and to make the first deposit, contact Shaw at [email protected].

For her, traveling to the Middle East with the seminar is a no-brainer.

“What you see and what you learn about is different than what you’ll read in the books,” Dolecek said. “You should always take the opportunity if it presents itself.”