Organizations main focus of SGA Senate

More than a hundred organizations were approved as Registered Student Organizations during Wednesday’s Student Government Association meeting.

The majority of these organizations were passed as full RSOs. Five new organizations received a lesser status approval. Some senators raised questions about why those five weren’t receiving full-status recognition.

“Those five will be passed as provisional organizations because they are new to campus this year,” Brianna Kitchings, Organization Outreach Committee chairperson, said.

The full list of organizations was made available to senators on their WSU Blackboard page. There were no copies of the list provided to people attending the event.

SGA Vice President Olivia Sullivan reminded the senators to join the SGA OrgSync page. OrgSync is a means for groups to communicate and conduct some business online. Registering an organization on that site is a part of the RSO registration process.

“Everyone has to be on it by next Wednesday, or you get points taken away,” she said.

SGA is set on a system of points. Senators can lose points for failing to meet obligations, being late for meetings or having unexcused absences. When senators lose four points, they face membership review. Sullivan said a couple of senators are halfway to that point.

During the meeting, senators were encouraged to invite their friends to “like” the SGA Facebook page. This page is used to share information about SGA with students at WSU. It is currently one of the main advertising platforms for the Joe Nichols and James Otto concert hosted by SGA on Oct. 20 at Charles Koch Arena. The first 3,000 tickets to WSU students are free; $15 for advanced general admission seats and $20 the day of the show. Tickets are available at the SGA office, Heskett Center, the WSU Bookstore and the Koch Arena Box Office.