Harry Potter Alliance brings magic to Wichita State

Bea Burchill (Left) a senior social work major is the president of the harry potter Alliance along with Adam Cameron (right) vice president who is a junior working on a major in secondary History.

Grab your wand and broom because Wichita State might just be the next Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, or at least more similar than it is now.

OK, so maybe brooms won’t be the preferred method of transportation any time soon—though you have to admit it would do wonders for the parking situation—but don’t despair. There’s still a place to get your wizard or witch groove on right here on campus.

The Harry Potter Alliance is a student organization founded last fall by a few students that can help get a wizard or witch groove going on. It uses the influences of J.K. Rowling’s work to make a positive impact on the community.

HPA President Bea Burchill has been a Harry Potter fan for years. When she came across a video online discussing the HPA, she got more than a little excited.

“I thought it was awesome,” she said. “I just loved the idea of Harry Potter literature to make a difference in the world.”

Buchill started organizing the HPA WSU chapter with four friends last fall. The first official meeting was in November.

HPA raised money and charitable items through a Harry Potter-themed bake sale and a book drive. It also sponsored a cleanup day at a local park.

It’s not all work in this organization though. The HPA hosts movie marathons, game nights, and other events based around the popular series. This year there is discussion about a Yule ball akin to the one attended by the characters in Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the fourth book in the series.

The HPA has been growing at a steady pace. The group’s first official meeting of the year last Thursday attracted 18 new potential members.

“I saw the booth at the involvement fair,” sophomore Connor Klamert said. “It sounded really exciting so I wanted to come and see what it was all about.”

The HPA has not determined how many new members they actually have, but its mailing list has increased from 30 at the end of the last semester to 105 this semester.

“We won’t be able to know for sure until we start holding events, but it’s obvious the group is growing faster this year than it did last year,” Burchill said. “Hopefully it stays that way.”

All that is required to join HPA is an interest in Harry Potter, a passion to better Wichita, and the desire to make new friends.

“I’m really hoping to have a great experience from this,” Caitlin Geer, a performing arts senior, said. “I’m excited to meet a lot of new friends who share my interests.”

The next HPA meeting is at 7 p.m. Sept. 20 in Lindquist Hall Room 601.