Recent robberies make dressing up a problem

I happened to be reading a recent edition of The Sunflower (weird, right?), and one story in particular alarmed me. The article was titled “Another robbery occurs near WSU main campus.”

The word “another” was quite upsetting and scary.

I work at a bank and wear dress clothes every day. After work, I return to campus and finish homework or work for the paper without changing clothes.

I do not have time to change because everything is scheduled right to the “T.” I do not have the extra 10 minutes.

I’m sure I am not the only woman who works in the afternoon and comes back to Wichita State for night classes, or finds herself studying late in the library and looks around at every step she takes.

As a woman, I feel safer wearing jeans, tennis shoes and a backpack as opposed to wearing high heels and dress clothes, which are not great for running.

So what should I do?

I remember being told that the WSU police drive around and to call them if you find yourself on campus at night feeling uneasy.

So when I found myself getting ready to leave The Sunflower office late at night, wearing heels and dress pants, I decided to call the WSU police for assistance. I told them where I was and that I wanted to make it safely to my car. They told me a police car would be in the area and sure enough, I left Elliott Hall and there was a police car out front.

I didn’t have to worry about walking in heels and looking around.

Students at WSU: If you need a police officer to help you feel protected, you just have to be willing to take that extra step of precaution so you aren’t the next breaking news report for The Sunflower. The WSU Police Department is 978-3450.