SGA leaders remind Senate of its responsibilities

Student Government Association President Luis Carbajal and Vice President Olivia Sullivan didn’t mince words while dressing down SGA members.

“This is just not working out right. If you guys don’t want to be here, that’s OK, I’ll accept your resignation,” Carbajal said. “I feel like we’re all kind of lax because we know each other … the burden of SGA shouldn’t rest on five or six people.”

Sullivan and Carbajal spent most of last week’s meeting reminding the senators about their responsibilities. 

Some members of the Senate were observed surfing the Internet and checking their social media sites during the meeting.

Sullivan addressed the senators about following the dress code for meetings. Many senators broke the dress code by wearing jeans, hats or shorts.

“I have no problem talking to you individually about what is acceptable and what is not,” she said.

Sullivan also spoke about the need for more senators to participate in SGA activities such as the booth at the Student Involvement Fair last week. Carbajal echoed her statements and reminded the senators that they are required to spend one hour in the SGA office each week. Last week, only four senators did so, he said.

The working members of SGA have accomplished a lot and have much more in the works. 

A funding bill was passed that will give $7,500 to the Contemporary Art Society to sponsor an art display. The Rock the Vote event discussed at last week’s meeting is officially scheduled for Sept. 12 and a Nuts and Bolts conference for Registered Student Organizations is being put together.

The last day an organization can register for RSO status is Sept. 30.

SGA will hold its next Senate meeting tonight at 6:30 p.m. in room 305 of the Rhatigan Student Center.