Don’t go hungry, eat on campus

Freshman Jacob Campbell was one of many who stood in line waiting to get food at Blimpie’s located inside of Hubbard Hall. Campbell said this was the first place he has visited since starting WSU and said it was the smell of the food that attracted him to buy food.

You’ve got 30 minutes until your next class and you hear that familiar rumble coming from your stomach. What do you do? With the Rhatigan Student Center under construction, the thought of abandoning your hard-won parking spot isn’t really an option. Luckily there are several options for the student on the go here at Wichita State. 

For those of you with a little more time to spare between classes, the Fairmont Towers Café is always an option. Located in the Fairmount Towers commons area, this buffet style café features food from around the world. Prices depend on when you eat and range from $4.80 for breakfast to $8 for steak night dinners. Lunch will normally run you around $5.90, which is a great deal when you consider seconds are free. They also accept Shocker Dollars and can coincide with meal plans purchased by students in university housing. 

“I love the café at Fairmont Towers,” sophomore Andrew Kirkpatrick said. “It has a great selection of food and is pretty convenient since I don’t really have to wait on the food to be prepared. The only down side is the long walk. It would be great to see the café actually on campus.”

Another popular spot on campus is the William H. Smith Bowling and Recreation center. It was located in the basement of the RSC and is now on the second floor, and has changed its name as well. The wRECk Center offers an array of classic favorites including burgers, chicken, and snacks like jalapeño poppers and fried pickles. Along with the food, students who stop by the wRECk Center can pass the time between classes with a game of pool or darts. 

“The wRECk Center is great. I miss the bowling alley, but all in all this place is still my favorite spot to grab a bite to eat before or after class,” senior Micah Miller said.

If you’re a health food nut or just a caffeine junkie, the Book and Bean in Ablah Library might be more your style. This coffee shop offers grab-and-go breakfast options and lunchtime goodies like sandwiches, soups and salads. They also have fresh fruit and baked goods.

“I always get coffee and a cup of fruit for morning at the Book and Bean,” senior Megan White said. “I like it because it’s quick and gives me a healthy alternative to Pop-Tarts or doughnuts.” 

The secret jewel on campus has to be a little place called Blimpie. Located on the first floor of Hubbard Hall. Using only the freshest ingredients they can make you a seriously satisfying sandwich. 

“I really like Blimpie. It’s usually less busy than many of the other places to eat on campus so I can get in and get out quick enough to make it to my next class without much problem,” junior Ashley Stewart said.

The RSC plans to reopen Copperfield’s Food Court on Sept. 10. All your favorites will be back including Fast Break, Taco Bell, Masala Asian Grill and Chick-Fil-A. Pizza Hut is planning to take a little longer with their re-launch scheduled for mid-October.