Four people incoming students should know

Every classified and unclassified staff member, including professors, is vital at Wichita State. There are, however, certain people incoming students should become extra familiar with. 

Ted Ayres, vice president and general counsel, is one of six who are part of the president’s executive team. Ayres’ office is in Morrison Hall and is the university’s first in-house lawyer. He provides the utmost attention to every case, whether it is dealing with $500 or $20,000. 

“Come to college with an open mind,” Ayres said. “Be prepared to take advantage of every opportunity. Get out of your comfort zone, get involved and participate.” 

Wade Robinson, vice president for Campus Life and University Relations, is also part of the president’s executive team. Robinson’s office is located in Morrison Hall. He has been at WSU for three years. Student conduct and student discipline, along with other responsibilities, are what Robinson takes part in, along with co-assisting the Student Government Association and chairing the student fees process. Robinson tries to attend as many events as his schedule permits.

“It is an exciting time, there are some things happening,” Robinson said. “The new president, John Bardo, has some ideas. One of the new things President Bardo has high on his priority list, which I’m very supportive of, is new residence halls and more of them because clearly that dramatically impacts student life and student experience.” 

Ravi Pendse is the chief information officer, an associate professor, director of Cisco Lab and is also part of the president’s executive team and the Council of Deans. Students may receive emails warning them about Internet scams through their WSU email accounts. The signature at the bottom of the message will show the name, Ravi Pendse. He said he feels rejuvenated when students smile and greet him as he walks around campus. During finals week, Pendse tells students he sees walking that “it will be alright” and “good luck to you” if they look stressed. 

“The entire Wichita State family support each other and support others,” Pendse said. “That sense of family is there. We are a big university but we haven’t lost our family values. We are not the kind of university to draw you a box but we will let you design the box and the opportunity to create yourself exists on the Wichita State campus.”

Keith Pickus is the interim provost and professor of history along with being part of the president’s executive team and the Council of Deans. Pickus attends many departmental events and men’s basketball games.

“The faculty and staff at WSU want all students to succeed and we are here to help,” Ayres said. “Do not hesitate to seek help when you are struggling with classes or maintaining a balance in life. Do not hesitate to make the most of your college experience.”