Strong groups drive SGA action

Wichita State’s Student Government Association has been hard at work, even though school just started. Last week marked the first SGA meeting of the school year and the second meeting of the 55th session of SGA.

Three new committee chairs were appointed during last Wednesday’s meeting: sophomore Steven Haneveld was appointed chair of Campus Issues Committee, junior Brianna Kitchings was appointed chair of Organization Outreach Committee, and senior Grant Rains was appointed chair of the newly formed Programming Committee. All chairpersons had many ideas for projects to take on over the school year. The Campus Issues Committee plans to improve recycling efforts on campus. Haneveld said the main targets for that project are Ablah Library, Hubbard Hall and the wRECk Center. He said these areas are more popular with students now than during past semesters and the accessibility of recycling bins should accommodate the increase.

Haneveld also spoke about a “zombie attack” exercise that he is developing with Legislative Director Darren Beckham. The plan is to outline various emergency response situations in a way that interests and engages students.

The Organization Outreach Committee, formed last year, is defining its role on campus. Kitchings hopes the OOC can learn more about the student organizations by visiting them and finding ways to assist them. The OOC has made it a goal to better inform student organizations about the funding process through SGA.

Formed this year, the Programming Committee has already identified many projects. The first event will be a “Rock the Vote” event in September. Rains is working with his committee to host a Shocker Appreciation Concert in October. There are also plans to hold the second annual Students vs. Faculty football game.

One of SGA’s goals this session is to be more present among students on campus. They will have a booth at Wednesday’s Student Involvement Fair on the Heskett Center lawn. They also ask that interested students come visit the SGA office on the second floor of the Rhatigan Student Center with any concerns, questions or feedback. 

Some senator positions are still open. Students can pick up an application in the SGA office. SGA President Luis Carbajal said that applications will be accepted throughout the week.