Campus Recreation hopes to break free of ‘Heskett’ moniker

When Eric Maki finds himself lacking ideas or inspiration, there is always one activity that seems to loosen his mind’s creative fabric.

“Running is the best way for me to disconnect and to forget about phones and e-mails and everything else,” Maki said. “I can actually get on the road and think.”

Running has also been a great way for Maki to explore Wichita State’s campus.

Earlier this month, Maki joined the WSU community when he was named the new director of Campus Recreation.

“Everybody I met during the (interview) process emphasized the importance of student development, which is at the heart of what I like to do,” Maki said. “I told my wife, and I told my mom and dad, ‘That’s the job I want.’ And it was all about the people and the campus.”

Campus Recreation as a department is not new to campus. It is known for being the entity that operates the Heskett Center, an image the staff wants to change.

“The Heskett Center is just a building. It’s like every other building on campus with a name,” said Shelley Rich, the associate director of programs for Campus Recreation. “I want to work on people knowing us as Campus Recreation because we are more than just the name of the building.”

Rich said part of Campus Recreation’s new approach is to get “Heskett Center” out of its language. She has gone as far as removing the name from her voicemail and e-mail signature.

Campus Recreation’s role on campus goes far beyond the basic operations of the Heskett Center. It also offers sports clubs and intramurals, health classes and even rentals—everything from bicycles to kayaks.

“It’s important to me because I want every student on campus to know we exist, to know what we are, what we offer,” Rich said. “It’s really going to help us for the future.”

Maki, who came to WSU from the University of Missouri where he was the associate director for facilities, knows he faces many challenges, both with branding and student involvement.

“I think it comes down to providing the right types of programs our students want, at the right time of the day, on the right day of the week,” Maki said. “If you can have great programs and great staff providing the types of experiences our students want, they will be crawling out of the woodwork for them.”

Currently enrolled WSU students can use the Heskett Center with a valid student ID. Paid memberships are also available for WSU faculty and staff, family of faculty and staff, dependents, and alumni.