Tracia traces her daily steps

Everyday, college students all over America are being told to get involved.

To some, it may go in one ear and out the other and for others it may resonate. But for Tracia Banuelos, getting involved is not a question; it is one of the key ingredients to her success at Wichita State.

Growing up in Wichita, Banuelos has been a Shocker since day one. She attended Wichita High School East and was in the International Baccalaureate program. After graduating in 2013, Banuelos made her way to WSU.

Banuelos is a senior human resource management major with a minor in psychology. Ever since she was a freshman, Banuelos has been creating a lengthy résumé. 

Banuelos holds two titles in Student Government Association: the Diversity Task Force Committee Chair and an Honors College senator. She is also an Honor’s College Fellow, vice president of the Wichita State Chapter Society for Human Resource Management and a McNair Scholar.

“I do it all because I have a goal and I’m trying to figure out how to get there,” Banuelos said.

Last semester, Banuelos worked as an intern for WSU Old Town at the Community Engagement Institute, and that is when it all came together for her.

Banuelos researched leadership skills and advocates adolescent and youth development.

“I’ve always had a passion for youth because of my own life and people that have supported me and I think everyone should have that,” Banuelos said.

She has put all of her McNair research efforts into studying the same subjects so she can help young adults understand their capabilities.

“I just really love helping adolescents feel competent in themselves and help with their self-confidence,” Banuelos said.

Banuelos said without the support she has had throughout her life, she would not know her potential and that is why she wants other people to know theirs.

Banuelos plans on attending graduate school and studying community psychology.

“I think having a support system is so important, because without that you don’t know what you can be and what you deserve to be,” Banuelos said.