Weekend preview — Feb. 7-9

Weekend preview — Feb. 7-9

Thursday, Feb. 7

Writing Now/Reading Now: Margaret Malone

Time: 5:30 p.m.

Location: Ulrich Museum of Art

Cost: Free!

Free delicious hors d’oeuvres and wine are only the tip of the iceberg for Wichita State’s “Writing Now, Reading Now” series, where students can come to the Ulrich to be true patrons of the arts for a day. This Thursday, visiting writer Margaret Malone will be reading. Her stories are known for tackling tough topics through ordinary, but surprising objects. There’s rarely a more delightful way to immerse yourself in visual, written and culinary arts, so don’t miss this free fiesta in your very own art museum.

Opera Theatre presents Scenes & Songs Recital

Time: 7:30 – 9 p.m.

Location: Wiedemann Hall

Cost: Free! (for students), $10 general admission

WSU’s excellent opera program is bringing out their favorite arias and ensembles for the second annual Scenes & Songs Recital this Thursday. Whether you’re new to opera or always grab tickets, this compilation of popular excerpts is a great way to enjoy the show in delicious, bite-size form. WSU students can request their free ticket ahead of time while seniors, military members, faculty, staff, and children can grab a ticket for a discount.

Friday, Feb. 8

Shockers After Dark

Time: 8 – 10 p.m.

Location: RSC

Cost: Free!

Sometimes, college can feel like one big lock-in, whether from toiling all night in the library or partying it up on campus with friends. Shockers After Dark brings back the delightful fun of earlier school fun nights through a plethora of fun and free events that range from poker to dancing to gaming. Be sure to hit the RSC as either the opening act or main event for your Friday night this week! Free food and prizes are there to sweeten the deal as you cruise between stations that are sure to get the party train rolling.

Saturday, Feb. 9

Wu’s Big Event X

Time: 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.

Location: RSC, Beggs Ballroom

Cost: Free!

WSU puts on its best face for Wu’s Big Event, a community service extravaganza thrown by the Community Service Board. A speaker will kick off the event and provide information about the agencies you’ll be working with before you jump on a bus full of Shockers to go give back to the community. By the time you close the day with a free lunch, you’ll have made new friends and found a new way to use your skills to better the city you live in. Make sure to register for the event ahead of time at www.wichita.edu/Big Event.

John Darr, Culture Editor

John Darr is the Culture Editor of The Sunflower.

John Darr is an MFA Candidate in Poetry Writing. His main interests are local art, student...