A letter from the editor

Uncertainty can be tremendously powerful, especially when the confusion concerns careers.

Questions can fire rapidly through panicked heads when contemplating a career change, such as whether the planned career ensures future happiness, if the economic outlook will soon change, and if it’s worth the time and money to change trains now.

If you’re a college student, chances are you’ve been here before.

Not only do we have to decide which of the many paths we should settle on. The logistics of attaining a “real world” job remain foreign terrain to many college students.

In an economy where a bachelor’s degree is no longer enough to get a foot in the door, graduates have to learn to utilize technology and creativity, marketing to the max.

No wonder college students are often overwhelmed. Sometimes learning all these tips before donning graduation robes seems impossible.

And it can be intimidating when we’re unsure that our career path is straight, or if we’re covering all our bases to avoid living in a cardboard box.

My advice is to embrace the uncertainty. If you’re between majors, don’t let it send you into crisis mode.

Too much worry is just spinning your wheels in the mud instead of turning them on solid ground.

Instead, use any time spent in limbo to get proactive about the future instead of dwelling on feelings of negativity.

And honestly, if you haven’t yet changed your major, you might be due for an advising appointment.

But until you have the rest of your professional life planned out, use this special edition of The Sunflower as your guide to finding a career.

Inside these pages, you’ll find tips on everything from navigating LinkedIn to coping with office boredom.

And remember that advice from career advising, cooperative education, professors, professionals and students are not only lining these pages.

Voices of wisdom are all about campus, and as we found, are more than willing to share their tips.

So you can relax.

By listening to the advice of the many professionals, advisors and students around you and taking stock of the tools on campus, I’m sure your internal compass can point toward a successful future.