Scary does it: Haunted house a fun romp for all

SAC starts off Holween early by hosting a haunted house last friday in the Heskett soccer field.

Wichita State spooked some kids and students for the first time Friday.

“You wanna hold my hand, cause I’m kinda scared,” Cree Enna, a junior sociology and communication major, said to a 4-year-old named Gretchen at the Student Activities Council sponsored Haunted House event.

Grethchen was waiting in line with her family at the on-campus haunted house for students, faculty and the community at the Heskett Center playing field.

Shocker Nightlife chair Shannon Glover said this is the first year for the event on campus.

“We thought there was a desire from students on campus to have a big Halloween event, so we thought it would be something cool that we could try out,” she said.

Glover said setup time for the haunted house took about two to three hours.

Once patrons were allowed onto the playfield, four people at a time were admitted into the haunted house. The house featured dozens of skeletons placed throughout and live characters jumping out and scaring patrons. Most of the skeletons were hanging from the ceiling. Some patrons had to push them out of the way in order to get past.

Glover said another company donated the skeletons.

“The company came in, and they provided all the materials that [were] inside the house,” she said.

At the end of the house was a hallway that said “squeeze through here” where patrons had to push their way through to make it to the end. While some patrons exited the maze laughing, others left slightly frightened.

“I’m really scared right now. I didn’t expect it to be that scary,” junior business major Jessica Phommachanh said when she exited the house with a friend.

Phommachanh said the house seemed small from the outside, but when she got in she felt more like she was in a maze. She found the house enjoyable.

“The strobe light made it hard to go through the maze, but it was fun,” she said.

Admission was free for students with ID, $2 for faculty with ID, $3 for the general public and 50 cents for children under 12. Glover said money brought in by the event goes back to SAC.

“Most of our money comes from student fees, but money that we make at large events goes back to use,” she said.

An upcoming event for SAC is Casino Night for Shocker Nightlife, which will take place Nov. 9. For more information, visit SAC’s website and click on “Events Calendar.”