Another robbery occurs near WSU Main Campus

A Wichita State student was robbed at gunpoint Wednesday evening near the WSU main campus.

The incident occurred shortly after 9 p.m. in the 1600 block of N. Holyoke one block south of the campus, according to WSU police reports.

Four suspects accosted a 35-year-old student. One of which was armed with a gun. The gunman stuck weapon against the student’s side and demanded money. The student gave his wallet and the gunman took the cash and returned the wallet. The student was punched in the face and kicked in his leg. All four suspects fled east on 16th Street.

The Wichita Police Department responded and stopped three persons in the area and recovered a BB gun nearby. The victim was unable to identify the three persons or weapon. The persons were released. The department continues to investigate the crime.

All four suspects are black males. Their ages range from 18- to 20-years-old. The gunman is estimated to be 5-feet 6-inches tall, heavy set and last seen wearing a black shirt and shorts.

Anyone with information regarding this crime is encouraged to call the Wichita Police Department Robbery Section at 268-4177; the WSU Police Department at 978-3450; or CRIMESTOPPERS at 267-2111.

This marks one of several armed robberies that have occurred on or near the WSU Main Campus during the past year. One student was hit in the face and robbed of his cellular telephone in September 2011 while the student was walking through the parking lot on North Vassar; another happened in October at 17th and Fairmount streets when a student was hit in the face and wallet; an armed robbery took place shortly after 10 p.m. in February 2012 at 1717 N. Vassar.

University police report that 12 robberies happened in 2011 within a half-mile area around the campus, which covers the area from 13th to 25th streets and from Oliver to Grove.