Students find their voice through dance

Nadia Khalidi wants to become a professional dancer, and Friday she had that opportunity by performing an original, choreographed piece for the Wichita State community.

Every year, Mid-America Dance Theater, a WSU student-run organization, hosts an undergraduate student choreography showcase in the Heskett Center. This year, 11 students signed up to choreograph pieces to perform themselves or with peers with lights, sound and an audience.

“Usually when we are here as students we are being choreographed on by the instructors here, so its cool because we get to put our work out there,” Khalidi said.

The performances were more than straight lines, full spins and graceful jumps. Many dancers told stories with their movement and expression.

Senior Gavin Myers performed his own choreographic solo “Adaption (redefined).”

“It’s actually about me growing up and how I adapted through the various struggles I had through childhood, middle school, high school and into my college years,” Myers said.  

Haleigh Kierl also performed a choreographic solo to an instrumental version of “With or Without You” called “Shifting Winds.”

“[It’s] kind of describing my life in transition right now,” Kierl said. “I am getting ready to graduate this semester, and with that comes a lot of nerves and anxiety, as well as excitement for the future and what jobs I will be auditioning for … and so it is just kind of about embracing that change.”

Dancers practiced to perfect their pieces and sought guidance from professors during Christmas break.

“We look at it and give them notes, but we try not to intrude too much,” said Nick Johnson, professor and program director of dance. “I think what they have done is really establish that they are capable of creating with their own voice beyond impression from their faculty.”

To see the show, audience members could make a $5 suggested donation toward new costumes, flooring and the dance program’s trip to Mexico.

Audience member Jojo Wheeler, former student of Wichita State studying art history, liked the message in the piece titled “The Blind Leaving the Blind” choreographed by Martha Easton.

“It reminded me of [a] group of female friends and the complications that can arise,” Wheeler said. “It reminded me especially of high school, the system and rejection.”

Large groups of nine and 12 dancers, soloists, duets, trios and a quartet danced ballet jazz, hip-hop, contemporary and modern styles throughout the night.

The showcase allowed dancers the freedom to experiment with other art forms. Myers ventured out of his comfort zone and danced hip-hop for “In the Basement,” choreographed by Kelsey Stoecklein.

“When you have a student choreography showcase, it is showing how much we have learned here at WSU, and it’s nerve-racking, and it really makes us grow as artists when we have to put ourselves out there with our choreography,” Kierl said.