New out-of-state senator, adviser join SGA

Two new faces joined Student Government Association during its meeting Wednesday night: Freshman Eric Kromidas as an out-of-state senator and Marché Fleming-Randle as SGA’s new faculty adviser.

Kromidas is from Chicago and is majoring in psychology and international studies.

“It seems like a lot, but in a good way,” he said of taking on the role of senator. “I feel like there’s a lot that we do here. I’m glad to be a part of it.”

Student Body President Joseph Shepard said having an out-of-state senator is beneficial.

“We have the senator in place because we want a diverse senate,” Shepard said. “We want individuals who can provide a different perspective.”

Shepard said an out-of-state senator can spot problems, if any, in an environment that someone from Kansas would not see. Being from California, Shepard understands how an outsider could identify things that he could not.

“If I take someone from Kansas and I put them in California, they will notice things that I don’t know because California is home to me, whereas to a Kansan, it is not home to them and they’ll be able to notice things better,” Shepard said.

Kromidas said he was uncertain of how meetings ran at first, but expects to quickly learn how SGA operates.

“It looks like everything is really self-explanatory with the procedural things,” he said. “It should be pretty easy to catch on what happens in meetings. It seems like a lot got done today and I hope it continues that way.”

Fleming-Randle was recognized as SGA’s new adviser during Shepard’s officer report. She replaced Eric Sexton, vice president of Student Affairs, as SGA’s adviser.

Fleming-Randle is an assistant dean for the Fairmount College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. She is an ethnic studies lecturer and her research and academic interests include mental health, substance abuse and child and youth programs, according to her biography on the university’s website.

She said she is excited to be involved with SGA and plans to be active.

“I’m in the back kind of, but I want to be part of the Senate, I want to be a part of the executive board, I want to be part of the whole SGA picture,” she said. “I’m excited. I have a lot to learn. I’m just really excited to be here.”

Shepard said he is pleased with Fleming-Randle’s appointment.

“I think this appointment was a very smart one,” he said. “I appreciate the fact that she is here.”