Symphony concert hopes to draw big crowd Thursday

The Wichita State Symphony Orchestra rehearses Tuesday for a performance at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Miller Concert Hall.

From Beethoven to 20th century music, the Wichita State Symphony Orchestra will travel through time during its fall concert Thursday.

Mark Laycock, associate professor of music, will conduct the performance at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Miller Concert Hall.

“For the WSU community, this is a great opportunity to see your peers performing great works of art,” Laycock said. “The students in the orchestra are meeting the challenges of Beethoven’s first symphony with enthusiasm. This will be an exciting, polished performance.”

Along with Beethoven, the orchestra will perform pieces from French composer and conductor Henri Tomasi and American composer Robert Moran. Tomasi’s piece features WSU assistant professor Geoff Deibel on alto saxophone.

“As musicians we get satisfaction not just from performing fantastic music, but also from sharing performances with as many people as possible,” trumpet player Dalton Williams said. “No recorded experience can match the intensity of any live artistic performance.”

Williams said he hopes to see more students in the audience this year.

“I would just like the students to know that we are here to make music for them, as well as for ourselves,” Williams said.

Bassoon player Gabi Vanek said she hopes the symphony’s selection of music will please the crowd.

“We’re covering a lot of really neat music in a fairly short amount of time, hopefully it’ll draw a big crowd,” Vanek said.

Laycock said the School of Music would like to see more students attend and support fine art events on campus.

“Admission is free with Shocker ID,” he said. “Do take advantage of the talent and dedication on our very own campus — one of the leading music programs in the nation.”