Steamroller prints

Through all the events happening on campus yesterday, many students may have been curious as to why there was a steam roller near McKnight.

From 4 to 7 p.m. Wedneday, the Tornado Alley Press, the WSU printmaking guild, partnered with the Ulrich Museum of Art to host the 2 Tons Under: Exquisite Corpse printmaking event.

The event included printmakers from WSU and surrounding high schools. Students would carve 4-by-8 wooden blocks into a work of art which would then be covered in ink.

A canvas would lay over it and then the steam roller would press the canvas, transfering the ink and creating a print.

Isaac Choe, senior and president of the Tornado Alley Press, said he was excited about the event.

“We’ve been planning this event since before the summer and it’s been great to see it come together over the last month,” Choe said.

Not only did the event entail a steam roller making prints, but there are specific prints involved in the theme of Exquisite Corpses. The concept of an exquisite corpse is to make separate pieces or body parts and then arrange them to create one image.

“It is so amazing to see these steam rollers making such great prints,” sophomore Manuel Caceres said. “I really enjoy looking at the art that other students have done.”

The guild invited high schools around the area to participate in the event so there was more community involvement with WSU and the School of Art, Design and Creative Industries.

Not only does this show off the art department of WSU, but it creates the awareness of print making, which is what Choe was hoping the community would understand.

“We’re trying to get the word out about Tornado Alley Press, as well as showing the community what printmaking is like, which is why we’re doing it live,” graduate student Wendi Valladares said. “It’s about trying to keep the arts alive in the community and engage with students. We want to let them know what printmaking and the arts are like.”