Bass guitar player performing Friday evening

Wichita State will host jazz bass guitar player Victor Wooten at 7:30 p.m. Friday in Miller Concert Hall, located inside the Duerksen Fine Arts Center.

Students with Shocker ID can attend the concert at no cost. Tickets for other attendees are $20, with discounts available. Doors open half an hour before showtime, and the box office opens one hour prior to showtime.

The show is part of the Connoisseur series, and master classes are being offered the same day from noon to 1:30 p.m. and 2:30 to 4 p.m.

Russ Widener, director of the School of Music, said master classes are a chance for Wooten to talk about music and what it means to be a renowned jazz musician, have people play for him and offer critiques.

“Victor Wooten is one of the top jazz musicians in the world, and it’s going to be a really special event,” Widener said.

Double bass and electric bass professor Mark Foley has followed Wooten’s career and music over the years.

“I’ve been a fan of his for 25 years, and I get to be up close,” Foley said. “It’s a big part of what we do at the music school, getting people from outside to come talk.”

WSU double bass graduate student Riley Day said he is also excited for the performance.

“As far as electric bass and music in general, he’s one of the great virtuosos of our time, being an instrumentalist of his caliber, his music transcends. The electric bass pertains to music as a whole; it’s pretty exciting,” Day said.

There are several YouTube videos online for those wanting to get acquainted with Wooten’s music before the concert.  Wooten also hosted a TED talk entitled “Music as a language.”

Everyone is invited to attend the event, even those that have not been exposed to jazz before, said William Flynn, assistant jazz guitar professor.

“Anyone who enjoys people being really good at what they do would enjoy seeing Victor Wooten,” Flynn said.

For more information, call the Fine Arts Box Office at 978-3233, Monday through Friday, noon to 5 p.m., or email [email protected].