Why networking on campus matters

When I transferred to Wichita State, I didn’t know anyone, and I knew little about journalism.

When classes started, I expressed to one of my professors that I wanted to improve my writing and excel in my classes. The advice this professor offered resonated profoundly with me.

“If you want to learn and excel in any profession, the key is networking while developing the tools necessary for the job,” he said. “Find out who knows what you want to learn, and ask. Build relationships. Who you know will get you there, and what you can do will keep you there.”

Ever since that conversation, I have found several mentors at the professional level, and because of that, I’ve improved drastically in just one year in the field. This message is something everyone on campus — if they are not already aware — could use.

The beauty of college — especially when you’re leaving your home state — is that you meet people of innumerable differences and skills. We can all learn from one another.

There’s a beauty in meeting and building relationships. You never know.

According to several business websites, networking is great for sharing ideas and knowledge. Whether it’s asking for feedback or discussing your point of view, it will help you expand your knowledge and allow you to see things from another perspective.

It is also likely that within a group, there will be those who have already been where you are today. This ultimately provides you with an opportunity to learn and avoid some of the common pitfalls they experienced.

Also, it is natural that networking will result in opportunities. You never know when or how things will materialize in terms of how far — or soon — you or the people you are connected to will move up; it’ll be a benefit to you all, whether it’s a strong cosign, a partnership or a job opportunity.

While we are on campus, it’s great to excel in the classroom, which surely will lead to success. However, it is the relationships we cultivate with each other on campus that will undoubtedly help us succeed.