WSU alumnus brings local music flavor to redesigned RSC

Any student who has been at Wichita State long enough to remember the Rhatigan Student Center before its major renovations knows how small and closed off the atmosphere was before it was remodeled to its current, more open design.

The new design includes space for musical performances in Fast Break Lounge, which WSU alumnus and local guitarist Tom Page, along with his partner Mark Horton, took advantage of Wednesday.

“The redesign of the RSC is pretty bold,” Page said. “This is a remodel, not a redecorating.”

Page’s performance was part of the RSC Unplugged live music series, which brings in a variety of musicians to perform during lunch hours on school days. Page said he is glad to expose WSU students to local music because that was a vital part of his college experience.

“The university connection to local music changed my life,” Page said. “I would not be where I’m at today if it wasn’t for that.”

Charlie Kang, a friend of Page and a WSU student at various points throughout the past few decades, said the atmosphere of the new RSC is perfect for live music.

“When I went here in the 70s, this place was a lot smaller, more closed off,” Kang said. “When I walked in here today, it was wide open. I think it’s great. It’s terrific.”

Kang said the university used to mostly host artists who were doing nationwide college tours, so the emphasis on local music in the RSC Unplugged series is a welcome improvement.

“I’m glad they’re kind of getting back into the local music scene,” Kang said. “I think Wichita’s got one of the better music scenes.”

Page echoed that sentiment, saying he is glad to help bring local music to WSU students. “There have been a lot of bridges coming out again,” Page said. “I’m happy to be crossing those and to be a part of that outreach.”

Page also said he hopes live music in the RSC will inspire WSU students to turn to their creative sides and make art of their own.

He said the university setting is uniquely suited to expressing artistic ideas in a welcoming environment.

“If a university is a marketplace and an open area for the exchange of ideas, then certainly music and art have got to play a part in that exchange,” Page said. “In my mind, the open and safe area for that exchange is rare and valuable.”

WSU students who are interested in hearing Page’s music can see the Tom Page Trio at 8 p.m. Saturday at the Cotillion, located at 11120 W. Kellogg Drive.