Shockerthon surpasses fundraising goal

As 13-year-old Hannah Lindner got on stage to sing the hit song, “Let it Go,” on Saturday, a crowd gathered around her, emanating cheers of encouragement and screams of her name.

After the performance, Hannah left the stage with a little help — someone pushed her wheelchair down the ramp at the back of the stage.

Hannah is an individual who has benefitted from the support of the Children’s Miracle Network (CMN), a network of hospitals who offer financial support in research and care of disabled children.

Hannah lives with disabilities.

I because of CMN — they got my batteries, my hearing aides, my ventilator batteries and many more,” Hannah said.

On Saturday, Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and a group of WSU students held the WSU Shockerthon 2014, a philanthropic event originally held in 2011, in benefit of the CMN, with students raising funds to be donated to the CMN — a goal of $70,000 was set for the event.

This year differed from past Shockerthons, though, as the event was held at the Kansas Star Arena in Mulvane.

“This is the first year that we have brought the event to the Arena — past years it has been at the Heskett Center on campus,” Austin Haase, Shockerthon executive director, said. “The Arena was interested enough to donate their venue and another donor donated their light and sound equipment.”

Originally starting out as a partnership between Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and Alpha Phi sorority, Shockerthon 2011 raised $17,500 according to the Shockerthon website. Fundraising has increased with each year, with $30,101 raised for the CMN in 2012 and $57,165 raised in 2013.

“All of the money goes to the CMN and it all stays in south-central Kansas,” Haase said.

As a part of the event, after attendees are registered, they are encouraged to stand for the entirety of the event — 12 hours. While standing, participants were encouraged to take part in activities including Zumba fitness, dance routines, inflatables and water pong.

One of the highlights of Shockerthon was the arrival of children and their families who have benefitted by the CMN. Twenty five families came to the event, supporting the continued fundraising of Shockerthon.

“I like coming here — the CMN has got me [my chair], horse therapy,” said Ann Knoblauch, 12. “This is my second time [attending Shockerthon].”

The event was marked by one theme —“for the kids”— which was also used to categorize the event on social media by the hashtag, #FTK.

“I always told people ‘don’t just say FTK — be FTK,’” Haase said. “It doesn’t matter how much money was raised or how many people showed up, it is always for the kids — that is kind of my drive behind the event.”

Although Shockerthon is a relatively new event, having started in 2011, the impact of fundraising from the Wichita State community has not gone unnoticed.

“Being as it is a new event, the students have done an incredible job of getting the name out in the community,” said Jill Bosley, program director of the CMN in Wichita. “For what they have raised from the first year until now, what they have raised is huge.”

At the end of the 12-hour long event, the number of funds raised for this year was announced to the crowd — the WSU community raised a total of $75, 454.48, meeting and surpassing the original goal of $70,000.

For more information about the CMN or how to donate, visit childrensmiraclenetworkhospitals.org. For more information on Shockerthon, visit shockerthon.com